PDA

View Full Version : Starter woes...

Jgreemo
08-29-2006, 22:09
Hi all, just finished installing a new starter to replace my old 28MT. Had picked up a 27MT direct drive, but exchanged it for the gear reduction unit since they do seem to be a bit better. Went with new 1000 CA batteries, cables and after wiring it up, turned the key, heard a clunk which must have been the solenoid then all power went out. Not sure if it's just a fuse or a link (it was now dark out), but anyone have any ideas about this? Bad connection or defective starter? Will run through the fuses, but I just want some ideas before I drop the starter to have it checked or warrantied.

Napa's machine was down when I picked up the new unit, so they couldn't check it out of the box. But the batteries are new and I replaced all the cables. I need the truck back as it's been down for one reason or another for weeks now, so any ideas about how to troubleshoot this would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

john8662
08-30-2006, 07:16
Since you know you were in the area, double check all the connections on the starter. Make sure that the secondary lead that connects to the main power terminal on the starter is present and tight, which supplies voltage to the rest of the truck/cab.

Jgreemo
08-30-2006, 08:30
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the connections again, though I distinctly remember attaching the second lead to the main terminal.

One other thing, the 28MT I pulled out was stamped "Do Not Shim" on the nose. I asked the Napa salesman if the replacement required them and he said no. I recall that most if not all GM starters required some shimming if the gap was not correct, but as the original didn't have one and the flex plate teeth look fine, I am going without one for now. So far, the shim is the least of the problems.

doncannon
08-30-2006, 18:37
Jgreemo,

I replaced my starter and never used a shim. I had trouble after I replaced the starter it turned out the terminals and wire ends needed cleaned.

Hope this helps my 2 cents worth.

Don Cannon

Jgreemo
09-02-2006, 17:19
Well it does look like a connection issue. With two connections to the powered terminal of the solenoid and one to the "S" terminal, is there a fusible link in there? It looks like the S terminal lead is fried through the molded end section, but I want to be certain that it's fusible.

The other terminal with the 2 ga lead from the battery (which is new) and what looks to be 14 ga from the chassis appear to be ok, though I am going to replace the 14 ga connector.

Thanks again for your help.
Jon

hoot_223
09-02-2006, 21:43
i had the same problem in my 84 c10 and it was my connection on the starter

Jgreemo
09-03-2006, 13:39
Well, tried it again with new connectors and fusible link, but no joy. The solenoid throws, but then power is cut every where. If I disconnect the batteries, the thing seems to reset and the whole episode repeats. I'm guessing the starter solenoid is engaging, since I can hear it, but has a bad switch as it won't crank and doesn't seem to be releasing back to the run mode. I can hear it go one way, but not the other. Off to the Napa to warranty this thing.

Regards,
Jon

Jgreemo
09-03-2006, 19:13
Got it fixed and the problem was one I thought I had already taken care of. The new starter lead I installed had a bad connector. So along with a new warrantied starter, I also picked up another cable. So problem solved, though it pi$$es me way off.

As always, thanks for your help guys.
Jon

RoverIIa
09-05-2006, 10:27
I used to have a lot of problems with the starter wiring harnesses melting and causing problems at the starter connection. Then I started putting a spark-plug wire sock over the whole harness where it passes through the area below the exhaust manifold. I do this for the set of small wires that go up to the firewall, and another for the battery cable. They are relatively cheap (I think about 10.00 on the rack of individual parts at NAPA), and easy to install while the starter is off. I started doing this after a broken cable clip caused the entire electrical system to melt down on one of my trucks when the wires melted to the exhaust manifold. It wasn't pretty. That was the same day I learned that the previous owner had cut out all of the fusible links!

Have Fun!
Nate