PDA

View Full Version : 6.5l still wont start but getting closer

ttpost
04-13-2004, 07:46
here i am still working on this blankety blank truck.oh also filth flarn filth.after some checking and advise i have done these items.ordered a new fsd/pmd,found out how to pull codes and didnt get any, so i replaced the ecm.i can only assume when my glow plug circuit shorted it wiped out the ecm.i believe someone put too big of a fuse in the circuit,(had an idiot helping me he had put a 10 amp in a 5 amp circuit)i also replaced the glow plug relay.here is what i got now,i am able to pull up codes. i have a code 13 engine shutoff solenoid, and a code 29 glow plug circuit relay.if i am looking at the correct part,the big solenoid on the ip,i can feel it opening when i try to start it.couple of questions,is the fsd on this circuit,and if the glow plugs are bad would this give me the 13 code. and can anyone recommend a good book or website for this engine. i have a book on diesels but it covers a bunch of them and doesnt get into enough specifics on this motor. any and all help is appreciated thanks rob

gmctd
04-13-2004, 08:43
Many PCM driven circuits are separately fused in convenience center, listed as ECM 1 and 2 or A and B, F Sol, Gages, etc.
Have you tested each fuse for actual continuity?

R&R'ing each and all electrical connectors, inside and engine bay, will eliminate\illuminate potential problems.

Battery connections for ignition at starter solenoid are source of gremlins, as are harness grounds.

The fuel solenoid can fail, still giving indication of function, but not passing fuel.

ttpost
04-14-2004, 17:32
THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I HAVE CHECKED EACH FUSE FOR CONTINUITY THEY ARE FINE,I HAVE ALSO REMOVED SOLENDID AND WATCHED IT OPEN SO I BELIEVE IT IS WORKING,I AM GOING TO REPLACE THE FSD AND CHECK ALL THE CONNECTIONS THIS WEEKEND I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.I FOUND A GOOD SOURCE FOR HELP IT IA ALLDATA.COM,YOU CAN REGISTER FOR ONE VEHICLE FOR 20.00,IT HAS REALLY GOOD WIRING DIAGRAMS THANKS ROB

a5150nut
04-14-2004, 21:05
I see you are a member. Check out the members area at the top of this page. You will need you log in and password for that area. Lots of information and pictures in there.

ucdavis
04-15-2004, 13:53
Sure fire check for FSO operation w/out any guesswork is to replace the short black fuel return tube (that exits the top front of IP to a small diameter fuel return manifold near the brass water bleed petcock) w/an equivalent diameter of clear tubing & hose clamps. Keep it from touching any parts that get hot w/a wadded paper towel so it won't melt when the engine heats up (the clear is much less heat resistant than the OEM stuff).
Crank up the beast & watch the tube for fuel movement. It'll move during the crank cycle & really move once engine fires if the FSO is open; no movement or only a teeny bit if it isn't opening properly.

Randee of the Redwoods
04-15-2004, 14:41
YOu say it won't start, but didn't say what type of no start. From your post, I'm guessing it cranks but won't fire. I think you are on the right track. I ran into this with my 6.2 Jimmy last year when the mech controller stuck open and burnt out the plugs. I pulled my hair out and poured over every word from everyone here. But we all missed the obvious. The plugs burned out but no one thought of testing them since the circuit "seemed" to work fine. Before you pull your hair out, test those plugs first. Especially if they are original 9g's, they may just be bad. Also test to make sure there is power to the plug leads so they will heat up.

ttpost
04-15-2004, 16:28
I HAVE TESTED THE GLOW PLUGS, THEY ARE 60 G AND ARE FINE, I HAVE POWER TO THE RELAY,IF I MANUALLY BYPASS THE RELAY THE GLOW PLUG LIGHT COMES ON AND THE GLOW PLUGS GET HOT.I AM BEGINNING TO THINK I HAVE A WIRING PROBLEM BETWEEN MY ECM AND THE RELAY(YELLOW WIRE), I AM HAVING TWO PROBLEMS AT ONCE,NO GLOW PLUGS AND NO FUEL COMING OUT OF THE INJECTOR LINES, I HAVE A COUPLE OF THEM REMOVED SO THEY DONT REQUIRE ANY PRESSURE, THE FUEL GETS TO THE FUEL SOLENOID ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PUMP, BUT DOESNT COME THROUGH THE PUMP ITSELF.FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THERE IS ANOTHER SOLENOID INSIDE THE PUMP THAT THE FSD CONTROLLS. I AM PULLING CODE 13 AND 29. I HAVE ORDERED A NEW FSD/PMD AND SHOULD GET IT INSTALLED THIS WEEKEND.I WILL DO A VOLUME CHECK AFTER THE SOLENOID ON THE INJECTOR AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. THANKS AGAIN GUYS ROB

ucdavis
04-15-2004, 18:23
The Fuel Solenoid is the 1.5" diameter cylinder between the spider of injection lines coming out of the IP. It has a red & a black wire going to it from the FSD. No injection + no code could = FSD. The FS has to fire once for each injection, 4 times per rpm.
You could try the FSD nut trick if you still have the old FSD handy. See the discussion (more'n you ever wanna know about FSDs) @
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005199#000000
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005013#000000