PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover and oil pan gaskets

Phil Holmen
11-26-2003, 10:19
Does anyone have rubber gaskets installed for their valve covers and oil pan gasket. I need to replace mine and don't want to go to the rubberized cork due to the lengthy job of replacing them.

cruzer
11-26-2003, 10:51
There just glued on. RTV. I got gaskets in my Victor rebuild kit, but I didn't use them. I think they were cork. I used GM RTV, which seemed the same as permatex. GM glues them too. I think you have got to get the seal for the back of the pan though, but I cant say for sure.

Uncle Wally
11-26-2003, 18:44
What makes it lengthy to replace? If they are already in the engine, you'll have to spend that time to clean everything up enough to use any gasket, cork or rubber. Personally, I don't care for the rubber ones as the get rock hard and crack under the heat load. I have used the silicone/cork composites on several big block chevy's and I have never had to replace them after that. Even after going under valve covers to adjust mechanical lifters. I always use rtv on the valve cover side and not on the head side. Pop the covers off, wipe em down good and reinstall when yer done.

Waldo