PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

doncannon
08-28-2006, 11:13
Hello All,

I understand that 6.2 to 6.5 differences are the oil sprayed pistons and the bore. Is it possible to convert a 6.2?

Thank you for all your help in advance,
Don

More Power
08-28-2006, 11:18
Having oil spray-cooled pistons may not be a huge benefit. Having oil spray was a bad idea (due to block cracks) until AM General's redesigned block became available in 11/2001.

We used a 599 non oil sprayed block in our 6.5TD Project truck. I don't see how it would have been improved with spray.

Jim

doncannon
08-30-2006, 18:32
Hello all,

Jim,

I am looking at a 6.2 with 23,000 on it. what would be a fair price to pay for it? Also once I get it what can I do to strengthen it when I put on my 6.5 pump and injectors and banks turbo.

Thank you for all the help,
Don

john8662
08-30-2006, 20:52
Strength?

What are the plans? I see you like lots of boost already, so I think the next engine should at least be a 19:1 compression ratio engine.

Having a stud-girdle bottom end is a good idea as well.

You may also consider a set of 6.5TD heads with the Turbo precups, this will help with performance.

I'm guessing this engine you're looking at is a complete longblock?

Heard it run?

A good running 6.2 with known low miles and in good condition should be worth anywhere from 1000 - 1500, but I'll bet you can get it for much less.

J

doncannon
08-31-2006, 09:29
Hello All

J,

I am sorry I should have explained better. I was just going to drop in the 6.2 complete out of another truck for now so I am not down too long and later while the old one is out then go with 19.1 pistons, 6.5 td heads (never heard of that .. do you know the casting # because I would like to watch for a set of those), 6.5 turbo (so i can incr boost), etc. Any other suggestions to get me to 300 hp would be greatly appreciated (I think I am at 240 hp now).

I would like to put in the girdle kit though seeing I have to swap oil pans because mine has a temp sensor in it.

He is suppose to sell it to me for 600.00 so I guess this is a good deal :)

Thanks for all the help,
Don Cannon

6.2 with low mileage ..............600.00
my truck running again............priceless

ronniejoe
08-31-2006, 09:44
I don't see how it would have been improved with spray.

Jim

Reduced piston temperatures, less tendency to gall.

I personally recommend using the oil spray blocks for maximum durability...if they are converted to splayed mains. I'm looking at converting a 929 block to oil spray right now.

I believe that the oil spray feature is why my second engine lasted as long as it did.

john8662
08-31-2006, 11:23
Reduced piston temperatures, less tendency to gall.

I personally recommend using the oil spray blocks for maximum durability...if they are converted to splayed mains. I'm looking at converting a 929 block to oil spray right now.

I believe that the oil spray feature is why my second engine lasted as long as it did.

Many variables here...

All the sprayed blocks had the cooling mods on from factory. Replacement engines like the one you had probably didn't for awhile.

I don't think the piston oil spray cooling is a bad thing, as long as it uses the smaller holes and jets. The ones in my '97 506 block (with 12mm main bolts vs 10mm) are scary large...

Afterall, Ferd uses this on all their engines, even the 7.3IDI had them, not so sure about the 6.9.

I just don't like drilling out material from the main webs for this operation, even with splayed mains. Even when splaying, you're taking meat out of the block...

ronniejoe
09-05-2006, 09:43
Replacement engines like the one you had probably didn't for awhile.

Mine was a long block...so no cooling mods incorporated. They simply bolted all the external components from my original 95 engine onto the warranty engine.

With splayed mains, the stress field is drastically redistributed, so cracking through the oil nozzle holes is a non-issue.

doncannon
09-07-2006, 18:06
Hello all,

Ronnie how would i convert mine? is it hard?

thanks for the help,
Don

Robyn
09-07-2006, 20:40
When did the spray blocks come along?????????????????????????
My 94 had nothing to suggest any spray device??????????

Robyn

DmaxMaverick
09-07-2006, 21:26

Robyn

1997 ......

ronniejoe
09-08-2006, 05:51

Robyn

They were introduced in 1997.

ronniejoe
09-08-2006, 05:54
Hello all,

Ronnie how would i convert mine? is it hard?

thanks for the help,
Don

I haven't actually converted one yet, but am working to develop the method. A machine shop with a vertical axis end mill is required to machine the new holes. I'm getting some measurements to ensure that it is feasible.

doncannon
09-09-2006, 17:37
Hello All,

That is GREAT Ron! Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
Don

gmctd
09-09-2006, 18:50
Oil spray-cooling is used mainly in the direct-injected engines, where the combustion chamber is a deep cup in the piston - no way for engine coolant in the water jacket to remove that heat.

Some of the larger truck engines even use cast-iron piston crowns to withstand greater btu input - or thru-put, as it were.

And, they use blow-thru from the compressor to help remove upper cylinder heat by holding the exhaust and intake valves open between the exhaust and intake strokes.

So they pull the piston heat out into the oil pan, then run the oil thru a heat exchanger inserted into the water-jacket, usually near the front of the block close to the water pump, where the coolant is coolest.

Also helps stabilize oil pan and water-jacket temperatures in cold climes.

However, majority of the indirect-injected heat is in the pre-cups in the heads, which requires other types of improvement, as in the 6.5 cases.

So, while oil-sprayed pistons may not solve the other problems, it certainly couldn't hurt, once the mains-webbing is stabilized.

Imo, of course.