PDA

View Full Version : crank relearn

skip460
04-13-2004, 07:28
I am having problem with my 95 I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have a code 88 tdc offset error. It showed up about 215,000 . I changed the timing chain, crank sensor, pcm and recently the fsd.The code will not clear but on a tech 2 the timing is 3.5 degrees like its supose to be. I checked all connections and am leaning towards either the optical sensor or an internal mechanical pump issue. I haven't lost power or mileage tho.It runs good and now has 241,000.Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kevin

More Power
04-13-2004, 07:44
The TDC-Offset learn procedure is a manual operation on the 1994-95 (OBD-I) systems, where the 1996 and newer 6.5's (OBD-II) will automatically relearn the TDC-Offset (unless you want it set somewhere other than where the computer thinks it should be).

So, in your truck, you must perform the TDC-Offset learn procedure anytime the CKP (crankshaft position sensor), injection pump or PCM is replaced.

MP

MTTwister
04-13-2004, 09:06
Is there an average Joe - user friendly - way to do the Offset Learn for the '96 and Up computers? Some special sequence, other than visiting the dealer or getting a pricy OBDII scanner?

charliepeterson
04-13-2004, 19:16
Yes there is a way to do the TDC Relearn on an OBD II truck with out a Tech II. You will need some kind of a scanner which can tell you what the readings are for timing. This procedure is a key on engine off hold accelerator to the floor test.
I have forgotten which member here came up with this procedure. I have access to a Tech II so I haven't tried it but it looks like it will work.
If anyone is interested in trying it out give me a shout and I'll E-Mail the procedure.

mrcool264@netzero.net