PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 went to the dealership today

Dmax son
08-25-2006, 02:43
Well I found out that my suburban needs a new injection pump, and the harmonic balancer is bad too.They quoted me 385 to do the balancer, and 3200 for the pump. The even worst news was that my warranty won't cover anything. So tomorrow I pick up the suburban. I'm going to order the parts and do the work myself. They said that the pump was putting metal in the fuel system, and they where going to replace the pump flush the tank and lines, and replace the lift pump also. I don't know how I'm going to flush out the system, but I was thinking of getting one of those magnets that go on oil filters, and put it around the fuel filter to trap the loose metal. Is the fuel filter housing aluminum?? What do you guys think about the fluidampr?? I know it is pricy, but has anyone tried it yet. I think bullydog is marketing a fuildamper with there name on it. At gmpartsdirect.com they have the stock damper it $93. Since I have the damper off, I was thinking of going in and replacing the timing set. I would like the phazer gear set, but it's $475 and Kennedy. The stock set from gmpartsdirect.com is $179. I can't find out how much the injection pump is from them, but the cheapest I can find the injection pump is $1145 from kennedy. If you guys know where the I can get this stuff cheaper let me know.

Thanks
Bryan

Warren96
08-25-2006, 06:41
If we had more info on the make- model -year we are talking about,these parts may be something i have already used and i could let you know what mine where.Pumps are different from year to year.Doing the work you describe would be a fortune at the stealer,it is not beyound the abilities of most shade tree mechanics,like myself.By the way i apoligize for my poor spelling.

Robyn
08-25-2006, 08:10
Drop the fuel tank.
Remove the sender unit and pump all the fuel out through a filter. Run a magnet around in the tank to get any ferrous metal. use a red rag and a stick if you can to mop up any other crud. Blow out the lines and flush with solvent. Put an inline filter before the frame mounted lift pump. replace your IP, filters and lift pump and your off and going.
Not all that hard but a PITA anyway. You can do it for lightyears less $$$$ than the dealer is quoting.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Robyn

HH
08-25-2006, 08:28
You could pull your pump and bring it to a local shop that specializes in diesel IP. I would think there is someone in your area, maybe someone here will chime in on a local place in AZ.

Dmax son
08-25-2006, 10:08
Sorry didn't relize that I didn't have the make model in my sig. It is a 1999 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4 all stock except for H2 wheels and tires. It has about 145,000 miles. The closest stanadyne repair shop is 150 to 200 miles away.

john8662
08-25-2006, 11:42
Since it's a '99 I do doubt that the IP is putting the contaminates into the fuel system. The early DS4 electronic 6.5 pumps had problem with coming apart and doing this. But the later 5288 and beyond pumps didn't have this problem, yours is likey a 5521 pump.

The dealer is likely making the assumption of metal in the fuel system because of contaminate at the bottom of the fuel filter housing, which can come from anywhere, perhaps a failed lift pump for example or just crap in the fuel station's tank...

Call around and surf around, you can likely find a new DS4 pump for around 1,100 or less, I've seen them go for less on ebay brand new in box.

What are the symptoms and codes?

J

Dmax son
08-25-2006, 20:46
There is no codes that I'm aware of. It has a very noticeable miss when under heavy acceleration, and the outside temp is warm. When you shut off the engine it diesels.

Bryan

4348rd
08-25-2006, 21:06
see if you can get the #'s off ur pump i have a 98,or 99 engine that came out of a surburban , the block is busted but, the pump and harmonic balancer are good , i also have about 5 or 6 more pumps

Bnave95
08-27-2006, 03:39
see if you can get the #'s off ur pump i have a 98,or 99 engine that came out of a surburban , the block is busted but, the pump and harmonic balancer are good , i also have about 5 or 6 more pumps
And your other pump numbers are? Any chance your from Indiana? We have a Monticello also in Indiana.

john8662
08-27-2006, 18:57
There is no codes that I'm aware of. It has a very noticeable miss when under heavy acceleration, and the outside temp is warm. When you shut off the engine it diesels.

Bryan

Sounds like a couple of things are at play..

The missing under heavy acceleration can be due to fuel starvation, usually due to a manfunctioning fuel lift pump and or oil pressure switch. OR, fuel filter as already mentioned to service.

The not shutting off is really odd, which makes me think that possibly the only thing wrong with your injection pump is the fuel shutoff solenoid. This is the round cylinder looking item on the top of the injection pump and right beside the upper radiator hose outlet from the engine on a '99. I'd seriously think about getting a core injection pump off someone (ebay has them cheap) or just buy a new shutoff solenoid and replace it to see it that's your issue.

The pump model is going to be either a 5521 or 5288 on that year.

J

Perry
08-28-2006, 17:20
My 99 Suburban had metal in the fuel system once. I took my Suburban to Bill Heath to figure out my drivibility issues, and they discovered that I had black crud and metal flakes in the fuel.

Bill suggested that I have my tank and fuel lines cleaned and tank filter replaced. Sure enough, the fuel tank filter was clogged with algae and metal flakes which caused the drivability issues. Inside the tank there is a metal coating that was peeling/corroding which was the source of the metal flakes in the fuel.

I had a radiator shop clean out the tank, they removed all the metal coating which took extra time/$$$. I haven't had any drivibility issues since then.