PDA

View Full Version : power levels

bio-diesel
04-13-2004, 07:12
Please educate me as to why a 6.2/6.5 will not make the power levels of a Cummins, Navistar or Dmax. I realize that the 6.2/6.5 have some design issues with blocks cracking and other thing such as not having direct injection. But these can be overcome, so if I have the same amount boost and fuel they should make the same amount of power right?

grape
04-13-2004, 11:13
of course, right untill the point where you run over the crankshaft. I think the direct injection on the other 3 have a little to do with it also.

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2004, 11:18
Several factors come into play.

The 6.2L/6.5L engines are indirect injected. The others you mention, except for Navistar, are direct injected. The Navistar Powerstroke engines are direct injected, but the previous 6.9L and 7.3L (and 7.3TD) engines are indirect injected. Power levels among the indrect injected engines are comparable, as are the direct injection engines.

The limiting factors within the technologies (direct vs. indirect) involve mechanical stress limits, fuel delivery, and heat management.

You could theoretically obtain similar power levels with a 6.5L (or 6.2L, 6.9L, 7.3IDI) engine as with the later engines, but it would be very short lived. The engine is just not physically able to withstand the stresses and heat. The later engines are designed to produce and handle higher power levels.

Marine applications are different. It removes the heat factor, as you have a whole lake/ocean to keep it cool. Penninsular Marine Diesel has "off the shelf" 400 HP 6.5L's.

Hope this gets you closer to answering your question. Cheers

bio-diesel
04-13-2004, 11:43
Thanks for the insight I suspected that the limiting factor would be durability