PDA

View Full Version : Hot tanking a bare block

jeffclark42
08-24-2006, 13:29
I'm about to begin a rebuild project and have a question regarding hot tanking. I have stripped all of the parts of the block, all threaded plugs, all the press fit plugs, cam bearings, etc.

I have not removed the oil spray inserts in the main webs or the 2 deck "tubes" that the head bolts go into. Do these need to be removed as well? I recall that the hot tank solution is pretty toxic and will destroy the cam bearings, but what about other parts? Is it neccesary to remove EVERYTHING?

Thanks for any assistance!

Jeff

john8662
08-24-2006, 14:13
Leave the piston oil spray coolers in place, they're made of aluminum, so supposedly your solution that the block will be dipped into won't affect. I would think that it would be aluminum safe.

One other plug that's a real bugger to remove is underneath the rear main bearing cap, it's up in one of the holes and is there because of the oil cooler routing externally. This plug is often forgotten and can lead to crud being left in the oil passage for your fresh engine. I have these pulled at my machine shop (three down now) before the final vatting (after bore etc.).

J