PDA

View Full Version : New FSD which one

noelb
08-23-2006, 21:58
I can get a new 35976 kit here in Australia from my local diesel shop but it will cost me $435 USD or I can buy the same kit from USA for $200 USD. Is it worth buying locally for any warranty?

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2006, 22:25
Uhhhh. What warranty? Stanadyne does not warranty any PMD/FSD once it's installed. Sol-D does, but there have been problems with it in cold temps. What type of climate will you experience throughout the year?

noelb
08-23-2006, 23:25
I have read about a 12 mnth warranty... so what does it mean? The climate here ranges from about 30 - 112 *F. When I rang the local Diesel Shop they stated that they honored the stanadyne wtee... whatever that means. I got the price down to $341 USD and that is a low as they can go. Mind you they have 11 of them on the shelf. What else are they good for? Not many 6.5 diesels here!

noelb
08-24-2006, 03:23
Is china making aftermarket FSD's and labeling them Stanadyne and putting them in their own "Genuine GM" packaging?

chickenhunterbob
08-24-2006, 06:43
One thing you have to weigh in addition to the cost of the FSD itself is the shipping from the US.

About 20 years ago (so may not be at all relevant today) A friend in Austrailia wanted me to ship him a pair of hockey skates from Canada, which were not available in Austraila, but the shipping was in the hundreds of dollars.

Yes this was long time ago, and an FSD is a considerably smaller package than a pair of super tacks would be.

I suspect though, that it's possible the dealer probably has a bunch on hand due to the cost of shipping, maybe...

Hubert
08-24-2006, 07:30
Internet + UPS/FEDEX makes the world flat and dog eat dog competition for price. Depends on service added at sale etc, convienance, and your budget vs local economy. Yeah most electronics warrantys last until the box crosses the counter. Don't count on that unless the seller is standing behind it. I seriously doubt Stanadyne will give any real warranty to a walk in customer. I don't think they ever approved of remote mounting officially.

Will they say how old the FSD is? Stanadyne made several attempts to improve reliability get the latest greatest. My replacement only about ~2 years old is No. 34583 bought new from local GM dealer. OE on IP is 30xxx can't read it. Must have been a change already but I think there was an IP change also late 90's (98-99 ish)???

Robyn
08-24-2006, 07:38
Hello
I will toss in my 2 cents worth. I have a SOL-D on a 94 sub and the only issue it had was at temps below 25F
The Sol-D will handle the heat far better than the Stanadyne hands down.
It bolts to the air top hat using the two drivers side bolts. Just plug it in to the engine harness that comes to the FSD on the pump and poof your good to go.
Considering you have far more heat than cold I would look seriously at this option.
I have a load of miles on my SOL D now and the only issue was one we encountered in temps down near 20f. Took the box in the house and set it by the stove for 20 minutes and the rig would pop right off and be fine. If I plugged the block heater in that was enough warmth that all was well.

Just my thoughts
Robyn

noelb
08-24-2006, 15:15
Thanks guys, Albeit I am still undecided. Thanks Robyn, it is worth another thought, have read the thread on the SOL-D and it appears the jury is still out --- No verdict yet.

Interestingly the local diesel shop knew enough to say that they would relocate the PMD and suggested that they normally locate to somewhere on the bumperbar near the front number plate bracket.

Cost of the cheapest PMD I can find for NEW is $165 USD.(labelled 35976: with 35483, cable and mounting pad inside. GM part no. 12562836) Oh and shipping from the States is $20 USD... Not Bad.

How can the cost of the PMD be so cheap?

Bnave95
08-25-2006, 04:07
Hello
I will toss in my 2 cents worth. I have a SOL-D on a 94 sub and the only issue it had was at temps below 25F
The Sol-D will handle the heat far better than the Stanadyne hands down.
It bolts to the air top hat using the two drivers side bolts. Just plug it in to the engine harness that comes to the FSD on the pump and poof your good to go.
Considering you have far more heat than cold I would look seriously at this option.
I have a load of miles on my SOL D now and the only issue was one we encountered in temps down near 20f. Took the box in the house and set it by the stove for 20 minutes and the rig would pop right off and be fine. If I plugged the block heater in that was enough warmth that all was well.

Just my thoughts
Robyn

I know there are issue with the SOL-D,Though I'll stand with Robyn on this one. I'm into my 3rd year with the intake mount configure. No starting problem cold or hot. Radio noise only affect the AM stations that I don't use. The unit only seem to be as hot as under hood temps. Not sure how many miles Robyn has on her's,mine is close to 40K.
Wish there were some in the HOT belt that has use this as a test also.Heat just seem's to have no ill effect on starting. Now we have cooler ways for the FSD to stay cooler and this is good.
So how do we decide?
SOL-D cost?
FSD,cooler,Ext.cable cost?
I also don't fair well on the cold start issue,garaged over night.
During the cold days at work,in the teen for 8 hrs. the truck starts. With a TDC of -1.95 you don't just want to take off,as in driving and wait for the noise to settle down:D
I was also one of the first to use the SOL-D when the DP reviewed the product. Washer issue-2nd unit to date doing fine.

16gaSxS
08-25-2006, 10:56
I think you should consider Heaths Isolator he backs his for 7 years and many of us have been running it for a few years with no troubles and he's been around since the 80's. Just my 2 cents.

rjwest
08-30-2006, 14:21
11 PMD's on the shelf, ? all with your name on them ????

I thought the spare stocking requirements were only 3 per
6.5L/ vehicle?

noelb
08-31-2006, 05:03
None with my name on at that price. I'm looking for a spare. Decided to get one from the good old US of A. $185 USD to my door for a complete 35976 kit. I could however do with at better pad. Does Kennedy sell the better pads?