PDA

View Full Version : egr removel?

militaryBurb
08-20-2006, 19:38
Is there a performance advantage to removing the egr stuff from the 6.2 ?

I'm assuming there is as the J code has no egr?

Any input would be great,

Thanks Chuck

Robyn
08-21-2006, 07:48
Obviously if you are in an area that has strict enforcement of emission laws and such, removal is out of the question.
Now for the answer you are seeking. The EGR is a filthy little beastie and results as you can see in the intake being full of nasty soot and goop.
The best plan would be to scare up a J manifold and swap it out.
All the egr vacuum solenoids are of no further value either. Make sure the EPR valve is open so both manifolds can breathe freely.
EPR is that little gizzmo on the drivers side exhaust outlet that has a vacuum can hooked to it. just make sure its locked in the open position.
Any time you can open up the intake and let the critter breathe better its a good thing. I am told the dual plane J manifolds are the best choice
Good luck
Robyn

Adam King
08-21-2006, 13:45
A J code intake is the way to go. Dual plane or single plane, I think I read here that the single plane is rated for 20 cfm more than a dual.

The other thing to improve on is the fresh air inlet. The stock systems are pretty restrictive on the 6.2. Alot of folks here have made custom setups. I just about have all the parts for mine.

-AFK

Robyn
08-22-2006, 07:51
As previously mentioned the intake system (Air cleaner) can be restricitive.
The issue with these little beasts is noise. The intake is wide open all the time and a 6.2/6.5 without the sound dampening equipment sound like an old GM Quadrajet with the air filter lid turned over, ALL THE TIME
If you route a cold air tube from the grill to the air filter you can lose some of the growl but they do get noisy.
I cut extra air holes in the air filter housing on my 94 6.5 and it sounds like an angry pack of 40 pound bumble bees out ounder the hood.
Open it up and keep it cool and it will run better.

Robyn

CleviteKid
08-24-2006, 10:51
I tossed out the so-called air silencer on my 6.2L a long time ago, and ran a 4" hose to the knock-out on the radiator support. With a heavy hose, and a stout air cleaner, I don't think there is any more noise than stock, but a LOT better breathing, particularly with my enlarged air cleaner holding a stacked pair of filters for the 1975 4-4-2 455 cubic inch muscle car.

Dr. Lee will claim that he invented this system and he calls it "Swanger Air", but I think it is just plain old hot-rod ingenuity. Mine works just as well as his does.
:p