PDA

View Full Version : ultra low sulpher diesel

3and3oneton
08-20-2006, 13:43
I am wondering if anyone has any insight into problems associated w/ this new ultra low sulfer diesel. Just filled up w/ my first tank of it and was calling a tow truck 3/4 of a tank later. Seems as if it is starting to seize up. I am of the understanding that the sulpher is a big part of the lubrication in diesel fuel. Has been running good up till this point. I am more familiar w/ gas engines than diesel so most diesel problems are a learning opporuntity for me.

john8662
08-21-2006, 09:23
I've run a tankfull of ULSD in my area though my '86 6.2 w/o any noticeable difference, but I did have some additive in the tank. Everything else has been the Low Sulfur Diesel since.

Only one pump sells ULSD that I know of, and I only fill up out there when heading back into town or out of town, or when (at 5:00am) I'm out mudding because it finally rained and i couldn't sleep (yeah, some women).

anyways...

I do doubt that the one tankfull led to a major failure of the fuel injection system.

What where the symptoms prior to the engine feeling as though it was slowing down?

It's also very possible that you're dealing with a plugged fuel filter, etc. and not any other kind of problem.

Keep us posted.

J

3and3oneton
08-21-2006, 22:43
Thank you for the reply. The truck seemed to be getting terrible gas mileage w/ this tank of ulsd. It started knocking so I pulled off the freeway where it died. When I attempted to turn it over it acted like the battery was dead, starter turning over sluggishly, however the headlights were still bright and the hazards maintained until the tow truck arrived. I had that marvins marvelous mystery additive ?? in the tank at the time. It probabaly is just a coincidance that it all came down at the same time. It will be a couple of weeks before I can dig into it and find out more. Thanks again. I am loving this truck and am looking forward to trying to make it into something.

More Power
08-22-2006, 09:53
Check my signature for info on USLD... There might be some risk to your fuel injection pump, but not the engine. The USLD link will explain what to look for. :)

Jim