PDA

View Full Version : buy a d-max now or wait?

nailem
08-18-2006, 19:26
is this the year to buy a d-max or with all of the new advancements and interest in diesels would it be worth waiting a year or two?
what im trying to say is, is there any big changes in the near future that would warrant me to wait. i know you cant read a crystal ball but maybe you have heard or read something.
i really dont need a diesel for a lot of towing. i only do a small amount usually not over 8000lbs. i would like to see a diesel in a 1/2 ton.
just wanted some opinions. thanks

hapaschold
08-19-2006, 03:27
nissan, toyota have possibilities of a mid size diesel pickup, ford s been talking for years with a v6 powerstroke for the f150 series. i went with a 06 dmax mostly on timing of needing, but didnt want to be a beta tester on a 08.. if your looking for fuel economy, perhaps a dmax in a standard cab, 8ft box, 2wd would net the best mpg. i m getting a true 18-19 mpg highway at just about 80mph with my dmax cc 8ft box 4x4 with only couple k on the odo. im sure my mileage will improve slightly as engine breaks in. pretty consistant at 16.3 with little city driving factored in. lowest was 15, but that was lots of idle time and stop and go traffic.

i think we ll see a new breed of diesels in cars/ lite trucks all around once the ULSD becomes available.

ISEEDIT
08-19-2006, 05:32
If the need or consideration is there, why wait? Look at all that's offered today (through end of yr). No interest loans, inventory clearance prices and best of all proven engine,transmission before new emissions crap wreaks fuel econmy and adds maintainance expense. If others mfgs come out with diesels (big if and when) then one can always consider tradeing (great demand for DMax compared to other diesels). If the price is right - then make it the right time. . . JMHO

nailem
08-19-2006, 07:54
my only need right now is a crew cab. my family just got a bit larger (had a girl on 8/1/06 and im having a hard time fitting in the two car seats in my 02 ext. cab 1500. should i be concerned with the new diesel fuel due out 2007? if i could get 17-19 out of a 06 dmax i would be super happy. right now im getting 14-15.5 average out of the 1500 5.3 gaser.
thanks for your replys.

FBJR
08-19-2006, 08:47
I got an 06 DMax for the same reasons, power and milage. Went with the crew cab because I have 2 little ones too and there is no deisel sub yet.

I got almost 16 mpg first tank with some freeway. I think high teens eay on trips and have been told of 20+ by many locals.

FB

hapaschold
08-19-2006, 14:03
my only need right now is a crew cab. my family just got a bit larger (had a girl on 8/1/06 and im having a hard time fitting in the two car seats in my 02 ext. cab 1500. should i be concerned with the new diesel fuel due out 2007? if i could get 17-19 out of a 06 dmax i would be super happy. right now im getting 14-15.5 average out of the 1500 5.3 gaser.
thanks for your replys.

sounds like a cc 2wd dmax would do ya fine probally get little better mpg.......no regrets here with the 06 dmax lbz.........

nailem
08-20-2006, 08:14
well i foud a dmax for what seams like a good price. im going to look at it monday. i should have said i also need 4x4, i live in upper PA and we get a lot of snow. my drive way is 650ft long and i dont always clean it out as much as i should. thanks for all you help. i will be real happy with fuel milage around 17 or better. any thoughts on the new diesel fuel due out in 2007?

jsmiracle
08-20-2006, 13:26
I had a 5.3l EC gasser and got about an average of 13.5mpg. It was an LT version that had bucket seats. We were blessed with a fourth child in 3/05 and bought a 9k lb TT in 2/05.

This led to buying a '05 2500HD CC D/A. I have never regretted it. I am now getting around 16 mpg (mostly in town driving) and it tows the TT like nothing is back there. I can haul my entire family in great comfort and incredible power. I love it and I hope you do as well.:)

Jim M.

hapaschold
08-20-2006, 16:11
well i foud a dmax for what seams like a good price. im going to look at it monday. i should have said i also need 4x4, i live in upper PA and we get a lot of snow. my drive way is 650ft long and i dont always clean it out as much as i should. thanks for all you help. i will be real happy with fuel milage around 17 or better. any thoughts on the new diesel fuel due out in 2007?

yup, u need 4x4.......didnt know u where in pa.......

new diesel fuel...from what i heard, expect little less mpg, i m using additive already, seems to up the mpg just a touch .. about .3 better by manual calculations.........will be interesting what it will cost thou..

Prestonia24
08-21-2006, 01:06
sounds like a cc 2wd dmax would do ya fine probally get little better mpg.......no regrets here with the 06 dmax lbz.........

I had a 01 5.3 C1500 Gasser, and i never saw better than 15/18

With my 06 LBZ CC 4x4 (With all the bells and whistles), i'm getting about 15/19 with a best tank average of 17 (streets and highway), and worst of 13.5 (all streets, all stop+go traffic).

I got the 0% Financing for 60mos, and that was a deal maker for me. Not to mention that Diesel is cheaper than Gasoline (for now)... So basically I upgraded to a much bigger/powerful/luxurious truck and am keeping the same MPG or better, I'm happy with it.

Not to mention the 07's are going to have all kinds of emissions control crap added to the exhaust system that has the potential to rob power/mpg and add more expense to the vehicle...

I plan to brew my own BioDiesel and blend it 50/50 with ULSD (that's already available at most of the gas stations around me). I figure with the bio diesel's higher lubricity, and the ULSD's lower lubricity, in a 50/50 mix should just about equal that of regular old dino diesel...

nailem
08-21-2006, 14:55
wow how did you get 0% for 60 mth? around here all i can get is 0% for 36 mth. i am starting a new thread because the 06 i found was sold before i culd dirve the 200 mile to find out what they would give me for a trade.

please check out my new thread ( chance to buy 05 lly need help fast), you guys have bin a big help.