PDA

View Full Version : Firewall noise/heat barrier material

azblazor
08-17-2006, 15:24
The material on the firewall of my 1996 K1500 6.5TD has deteriorated. The "plastic" type material that gives it structure has crumbled and I have removed the material from entire passenger side of the fire wall. I have called the dealer and the parts guy could not find a part number for it. Has anyone replaced this shielding with original OEM product (part number?) or can you recommend an aftermarket material or supplier?

Thanks

restoguy
08-17-2006, 16:12
Mine has crumbled too. I'd just as soon get rid of the stuff all together. That fiberglass backing has me cussing everytime I have to work on the back side of the engine because I spend the next week with itchy arms! I've thought about putting Dynomat(or equivilent) on the firewall next time the engine is out(4th time's a charm!). But I might just get rid of it all together and leave it that way. I don't mind hearing the engine anyway. I would like to hear what other have done, though.

azblazor
08-17-2006, 21:07
Any comments on this product?
http://www.cabinsulation.com/engine.htm

redbird2
08-17-2006, 21:45
I lined the whole inside of my cab area to reduce noise it did a great job also helped with heat over that 4" exhaust. I used b-quiet and dyna mat both ran out of one I had spoken to a 18 year old that knew more about sound systems than I ever cared to know told me either is good to supress noise in his Hi-Rev tune boom box he drives honda somthing he had more in the battiers OPTIMA's than I will use in 6 months on my whole fleet. the kid was right it did help

johnanc
08-19-2006, 20:21
I'm replacing my firewall insulation on my '94 K2500 for the same reasons. GM P/N for the insulator blanket (15763751) list price $116; plastic reinforcement P/N may be 15731214...bought a piece ABS plastic to make my own. The mylar coated material on the website of previous post looked like it would work well too.

RoverIIa
08-20-2006, 15:20
I've ditched the factory stuff (deteriorated as well) in my '83 6.2. I replaced the entire thing with a layer of Dynamat Extreme, one layer inside and one out. It seems to be as quiet as a standard truck, although it is hard to say for sure. I have done no sound measurement, but have considered trying that. You can hear the stereo nicely at highway throttle levels, and do not go insane from heat or noise. I would recommend the "Extreme" dynamat as the regular stuff does not have the metallic foil coating, and will melt in the heat. I've never had a problem with engine heat melting this on the firewall.

This stuff is fairly pricey (about 8-10 bucks a square foot) but I am a firm believer, having done the cabs of 2 trucks, a gasser blazer firewall, and now preparing to do the entire interior of my car.

I may add a second layer to the truck if it gets too loud for me. I'm not sure yet.

ALSO -- THIS FOIL COATING IS CONDUCTIVE! I scared myself once pretty well when I accidentally hit it with a hot battery wire. Oops!