PDA

View Full Version : Put trans in gear and no go.

Chris611
08-17-2006, 10:18
This doesn't happen every time I start the truck, but has happened 3 times now. I start the truck and put it in Drive. When I hit tha accelerator, the engine revs and the truck is very sluggish to move. I will only move a little. I haven't tried matting it to see what happens yet. Anyway, if I shift to reverse and then drive again, it works fine. I hook up to the boat (5000lbs) and don't feel any slipping in the trans. It only is sluggish the first time I start it. After that, there's no problem till it sits for several days/week. I only use the truck to pull the boat to the lake and haul stuff, so it only gets used once or twice per week. I plan on changing the trans filter and fluid to see if that helps. Any other ideas? I pulled the trans dipstick and oil apprears red.

Thanks
Chris

Robyn
08-17-2006, 18:19
Ok this is not uncommon. What is happening is the convertor is draining back due to a leaky check valve. DONT BE ROMPING IT. Just remember to go to neutral and rev a few seconds or so then idle down and go to D. The convertor cant fill normally in park and so its running low and this can also result in low line pressures and burnt clutches.
Just allow it to run a bit in neutral and you should be fine. One of my 94 Burbs will do this after a long hard hot run the following morning or when its sat cold for a few days. I just got used to it and cater to its needs. If you have to eventually get the tranny rebuilt that will stop but I would not fret too much now

Robyn

Chris611
08-18-2006, 04:27
Thanks robyn

I will try giving it some time to refill and hopefully thats it. Last night I changed the filter and oil. I was surprised to see that the filter in the transmission was the wrong one. I think it was one for the 4L60E. Last night when I went to O'reilies to get a filter, I told him that I had a '97 K2500 with the 6.5L. He said I had two choices for a filter depending on the depth. This website http://************.com/Maintenance/Transmission/FilterChange/transFilter.htm showed that the filter for the '97 4L80E has dimples on the bottom. Neither of the two filters he showed me had the dimples. So I said I'll take them both and bring the one back that doesn't work. At the last minute he says: "there is one other option...do you have a 4L80E?" I says: "yes, that's what I have." I almost didn't get the right filter. I could also see marks in the bottom of the trans pan where the dimples had been. I wonder if whoever changed it out before got the wrong filter. Anyhow, its changed and shifts a lot better. Much harder shifts, which I think is due to the Max-E Torq program. Hopefully no damage was done. Fluid was still red and didn't appear burnt at all.

Thanks Chris

Robyn
08-18-2006, 06:58
"Generally" If there is any real damage there would be a burnt smell. The clutch and band lining material are a paper product and will go away real quick if subjected to slippage. Sounds like you are going to be ok.

Robyn