PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 upgrades

Brad Worthington
04-12-2004, 18:35
I am wondering what the recommended first step would be in trying to get more performance and mileage out of my '96 Suburban with a 6.5?

Thanks

Dvldog 8793
04-12-2004, 18:40
Howdy
The ABSOLUTE best thing you could do would be a search on this site for modifications or some other such thing. Also check some of the vendors that advertise here. Or try searching for the individual things you are wondering about ie- exhaust, injectors, air intakes, ect....
Power is just a question of money, how do you want? :D
HAVE FUN!!!! :D

a5150nut
04-12-2004, 19:21
Brad,
Give us a little more info. Do you plan on towing? If so how much weight/distance.

Basic, open up exaust, gages, timing gears, cooling mods and intake. Then when you have lots of money........

dstoops
04-13-2004, 04:28
Welcome Brad,
Pre 97 engines are prone to cooling problems. So:
1. '97 cooling upgrade (I got mine from Peninsular Diesel)
2.K+N air filter
3.Open up the exhaust. Have a muffler shop bend a 3" after cat w/o muffler if your low on funds. Mine worked for 6 years. I now have a 4" with a straight-through glass-pack..Kinda loud while under load, since I removed the cat for "off road use"
4. Performance chip if your computer will allow it.
5. Last but not least....Spend some time on this web site. There are articles and ideas here for each item I suggested. If your not a member join up. The knowledge I have gained here has saved me a lot of money!!!

DennisG01
04-13-2004, 06:48
Ditto on everything above. 1st step has go to be the cooling upgrades for your year. Then make it breathe better - intake/exhaust/gauges. Next you can go on to the more intricate things that you will see listed in a lot of the "signatures" of the guys on this site. Take it from someone new to diesels himself - there is a TON of information here, and I have yet to find someone on this site who is anything less than very helpful! smile.gif

RLAM
04-13-2004, 18:47
Hey dstroops:
I agree with evreything you said except that my membership,and the knowledge I have gained has caused me to spend lots of money..

a5150nut
04-13-2004, 21:02
RLAM,
Just write of the extra expence as entertainment!! :rolleyes: