PDA

View Full Version : Hard 1st-2nd Shift on 700r4

83Blzr62
08-13-2006, 09:44
I just installed my rebuilt 700r4. It works great but shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and fine on the other two shifts. I did the test for the throttle valve cable adjustment where you let it shift to 2nd and floor it and it should go back to first. It did that fine. COuld it still be the tv cable or does anyone have anyother ideas?
It is a "built" transmission from maddog transmissions, so I was expecting hard shifts but I thought it would be on all gears. I can't call them untill tomorrow.
Thanks,
Kyle

ZZ
08-13-2006, 10:03
I've had several GM's with the TCC and only one or two worked right after going through the standard adjustment of pushing the tab all the way in and then fully opening the throttle to set it where it should be. The easy way for me is fine tuning the 1-2 shift and the others have always been right. My truck's shift points are 1-2 @ 11, 2-3 @ 21 mph and 3-4 @ 40 mph.

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2006, 10:06
That may be the nature of your rebuild. My '85 will knock out your fillings on the 1-2 shift at WOT. NO slippage. Towing, it isn't too harsh.

Bad? That's for you to decide. Mine's been flawless for near 1/2 million miles.

If you have the incorrect governor (gasser), it can cause different results with the Diesel. The TC also plays a part.

ZZ
08-13-2006, 10:29
Oh yes, I learned the hard way about having the diesel governor. I'm on my 2nd rebuild because the 1st one had a gas governor in it the whole time. It outlasted the warranty by 6 months. I finally had to order the one I have in this 2nd rebuild. It has made all the difference in the world. This tranny works better than the other two since I've bought this truck in '03.

83Blzr62
08-13-2006, 11:35
I have the correct govenor it is the green one not the red gas one. The torque converter is also correct or so they say. If other people have experienced rough 1-2 shifts then I am sure it is fine. I will call my rebuilder tommorrow just to be sure though.
Thanks again,
Kyle

ZZ
08-13-2006, 11:44
This one had the rough 1-2 shift when I first got it from the tranny shop. I took it back and the tech fine tuned it to where it is now. I want mine as soft as can be since I use my truck more of a car than a truck.

83Blzr62
08-14-2006, 11:09
I called them and they said that it has a break in period, but if it continues for a few days they will have to replace the accumulator. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Robyn
08-15-2006, 16:57
The setup on a 700R4 with a shft kit in it will rip your head off on the 1-2 shift.
The reason being is you are applying a band and with the recalibrated settings it grabs right now. the 700 in my 84 Blazer will snap your neck on the 1-2. also there is a reeeeeeeeeely wide space in ratio from 1 into 2. the others are close and they are band to clutch on the 2-3 and then clutch to band on the 3-4.
It may get slightly better but dont expect a muffmellon as it aint gonna happen.
This box has to be set up right or the 2-4 band goes away real quick.
Enjoy a 700 that is working right.
When I did the rebuild on my 700 I used the Heavy duty transgo kit and set everything on KILL and went to the harshest settings that they offered.
I want the thing to live. More 700's been smoked than I care to think about.
I know your missy probably gonna bitch but she'll get over it.
My rule is if it barks the tires on a hard 1-2 shift its sweet. Poor 6.2 dont have enough poop to bark the hides though so instead yer coffee cup lands in the back seat.
Just a note here, if you do a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery light throttle 1-2 it should just bump sort of firm and if you romp it about 1/2 throttle it should kick your butt hard. If you do a full throttle 1-2 the dash should fall of on the floor and shake (Just kidding)

83Blzr62
08-20-2006, 12:09
Mine shifts harder at lower throttle from 1-2 and when I go full throttle it is not all that bad. When it is cold it does it much worse and will chirp the tires even with my tired 6.2.

Robyn
08-20-2006, 12:23
The shop can adjust that a tad. If its that much of a bother get it tweeked.