PDA

View Full Version : loss of antifreeze

Greg Marshall
04-11-2004, 19:51
I have a '94 6.5 td I have installed a Kenedy exhaust system and kennedy chip. AS of latley I have been experencing a antifreeze loss. It has been pushing out the overflow jug on the fire wall I check the cap with a pressure gauge wuld not hold any pressure at all so I repalced it The engine does not overheat at all rather it runs around 175 most of the time may get to 190 evernow and then. One other thing that has just started also I repaced the glow plugs back in the late winter with bosh ones now at the same time i have had the coolant thing i get a lot of smoke on cold start and the glowplug light cycles a time or two after that no more somke Just wonder if i should remove the heads to check them or what it has aroeund 149000 miles and still runs good HELP!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

a5150nut
04-11-2004, 21:41
What color of smoke are you seeing?
White - water
Blue - oil
Black - fuel

Are you stil looseing water with the new cap?

There is a little more to do before pulling the heads. Unless you were just realy curiouse.... ;)

Greg Marshall
04-11-2004, 22:31
The smoke is a blue to white like cold start up shakes and rattles like cold engine till is smothes out I really dont know how much water i lost when the cap went bad I was pulling my camper I hve had to add a couple of times since right now i get a low coolant light on and off and the temp gauge goes up anddown a little but the light wil go off after you run it for a lotte while :confused:

tanker
04-12-2004, 02:23
Greg, it is possible to have a cracked head, and or blown head gasket. But as stated above, lets do some homework first. Do a pressure test on the cooling system, and also look for tell tale signs of coolant under the truck, from a hose, heater-core, etc. You could pull the water/thermostat crossover manifold on the front of the heads. Start the engine cold, belt off, and look for any compression bubbles in the coolant at each side coolant port. That will tell you which side if any is the problem. smile.gif

eracers999
04-12-2004, 05:49
Hi;
When your cap went bad, did you after refilling with coolant bleed the air out of the system via the bleeder screw ??
Kent

Greg Marshall
04-12-2004, 13:44
I refilled the system but did not know about bleeding the system I have checked the system with a pressure checker do not see any loss of pressure with engine off will hold 15 lb and running do not see and increase in pressure I think I couyld have a lot of air in the system any more info help

eracers999
04-12-2004, 16:55
Greg;
Everything full, radiator cap off, engine cool, open the bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. Listen and watch the air escape, close the bleeder when a/f is steady. How much air was in there?? If there was air in there your problem should go away. Recheck your a/f level. Tell us some good news.
Good luck.
Kent

Bill Voitel
10-20-2004, 10:05
Greg, any up-dates on your coolant loss issue I seem to be having the same issue. Let me know if you have any guidance.....Thks.....Bill. :eek:

Greg Marshall
10-20-2004, 23:34
regretably yes page 2

finally had to park it no overheat but huge loss of coolant via the overflow jug must have a bad head gasket as it still does not overheat
going to check it with the cross over off to see if I can tell which side it is but think I will pull both just to make sure thought it might be simple but it finall bit the dust will post as soon as I know :(