PDA

View Full Version : New member with a question......

uv77mc
08-13-2006, 05:41
First off let me say Hi!:D Seems like lots of info here, hope its all info and no attitude.:(

Anyway I did a search for gas to diesel conversion and only got 2 results. So that wasn't much help.
So I want to know how involved is it? I'd like to swap the 4.3L gas engine for a diesel in my 99' Blazer (S10). The reason being is the government has started regulating gas prices where I live in Canada and that means its only gonna go up (which it keeps doing so far). Right now its at $1.20 per liter which is about $4.54 per gallon (I think?? correct my figure if it's not) .
So I want to go gas to diesel and use bio diesel. Which is my next question.
Anyone here use it, what do you think about it, is it worth swaping and using it?

No one up here that I know of is using it. I heard the government is funding a company to make it but that raise the cost almost as much as regular diesel is now ($1.19 L ) so I dont think it'll fly to far.

Anyway thanks in advance for the help and info

Robyn
08-13-2006, 07:48
I hate to be the harbinger of bad news my new friend but you aint gonna get that diesel in the S10
You might be able to find and older Old V6 diesel and stuff that little creature in. The 6.2/6.5 is a large and heavy engine.
The drive train would also not take the strain. The tranny will go first.
Dig up an older 6.2 Blazer thats in good shape and sell the S10
The older Blazers will get High 20's on mileage (Full size K)

83Blzr62
08-13-2006, 09:53
I have heard of people putting 350s in s10's. It takes fab work and is not easy. Like robyn said, once you get it in you will probably have to upgrade your drivetrain, and the suspension will ride much differently with the weight. The people who put 350s in their s10s made them rock crawlers so they built a completely new car pretty much. Anything can be done, but it depends on how bad you want/need it.

ZZ
08-13-2006, 09:55
It takes hard work, dedication and a fat bank account.

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2006, 10:01
There's no point in doing a swap like that for economy. You won't live long enough to see a return on your investment. Your mileage will be great, but the cost of the swap will negate any savings you find in economy.

NH2112
08-13-2006, 12:37
Another smaller diesel such as a 3.9l Cummins or Mercedes might be a better candidate as far as size & weight are concerned, but I think it'd have to be running 24/7 for a decade or so before you realized any savings on fuel costs.