PDA

View Full Version : Light Switch

HH
08-13-2006, 04:59
Is my light switch bad? When I turn on the lights it it takes a couple seconds before the running lights come on? Any ideas or experience? I am assuming the switch is going bad.

Robyn
08-13-2006, 07:39
Yours should have the switch with the two tabs on it.
Yup sounds like a flakey switch. My 94 got to doing that. The contacts get burnt over time and they will build resistance and will do the dealy thing then nothing at all.

a5150nut
08-13-2006, 21:43
Some people here have installed relays past the switch to take the load off the switch. Especialy if towing and adding all those addional lites/load to the switch.

a5150nut
08-13-2006, 21:44
Some people here have installed relays past the switch to take the load off the switch. Especialy if towing and adding all those addional lites/load to the switch. I added a relay to my high beams so all 4 come on on high beam. No question when my brights are on or not.

Bnave95
08-14-2006, 02:16
Even my switch can't handle a T.T. The wires for running light on my truck is all the switch wire can handle. Side markers,top cab lights and tail gate lights. Had to replace the pin connector on the female end to the switch that got hot enough to melt and would not make a tite connect to the switch. These pins will push out and a new one solder in. Mine was so bad that the pin had melted to the connector but was able to free it lose.
Was going to install a new one but then I would of had to splice every wire.
The switch normal'ly does not go bad. This wire should of been a larger gauge and once you add to that, more lights from a TT it will get hot.
BTW even the dash lights will go out. You will have head lights and brake lights. Happend to me at night:eek: