PDA

View Full Version : Valve train

LucasEnglish
04-11-2004, 16:04
I have a question about my '93 6.5. About 2mons ago I put some new heads on because my driver side headgasket went bad. Well since I have got the truck running I may have been hearing some extra valve tran noise, but it is hard to say with the diesel clatter. Well, last week I was driving along at around 60mph and the truck started to miss bad. I got home and it was pouring diesel smoke out the back and only running on 7. Today I pulled the valve covers off and one of the rockers was moved over and the push rod was laying in the hole not touching the rocker. The plastic clip was broke. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I have done a search and have not found much. I am going to get a new rocker and push rod, but I would like to know why this would happen. Is my cam going flat which would cause the rocker to be sloppy or the lifter bad?. Or maybe I messed up on the install. The truck went 10k though with no problems.

gmctd
04-12-2004, 03:21
Could be normal deterioration from heat and age, aggravated by the remove\replace routines.
I'd replace all the clips while the valve covers are aff.