PDA

View Full Version : Help and opinions on my mistake.

Rhinoblazer
04-10-2004, 19:58
Howdy. I wish my first post was more upbeat, but it may be my lat depending on what you all say. I just got a "great deal" on a '94 manual 2500 longbed 2wd. The guy said it had been well maintained and didn't leak one drop of oil even though it had 194,000 on it. He was right. It doesn't leak one drop of oil it bleeds oil and what I fear is coolant out the back end. It's an extremely hard starter, code 18, coolant low. My first day driving it the temp spiked up to 250 before I could get it pulled over. But as I was almost stopped it cooled right back to 190. I put coolant in it and didn't get 5 miles before it happened again. What am I looking at $$$ wise to have it rebuilt assuming blown head gaskets? Should I just call it a loss? Part it out? Weep uncontrollably? Thanks for any help.

a5150nut
04-10-2004, 21:22
Don't be so quick to throw in the towel. When you added coolant, did you use the air blead to get all the air out of the system?

Jost a thought......

tanker
04-11-2004, 02:58
When did you buy the truck? Recently? If so take it back. If say the block is cracked, you may have recourse. Here in Pennsylvania, it is illegal to sell a vehicle, or engine with a cracked block, whether or not the seller knew about it or not. Public or private sale unless it was stated on the bill of sale that "This engine has a cracked block".
We bought a used 400 small block engine from a private owner, the block was cracked, so we thought about sobing, until a shop told us about the law. We took it back, and the guy was hesitant, then gave us the money back, when informed about the law.
Check with your state about this. Of course it may have a blown head gasket, which is not all that bad, to have replaced.
Sounds to me that the guy knew all about this prior to unloading it on you. I'd try and take it back if it was a recent sale. Wish you well.

Randee of the Redwoods
04-11-2004, 06:20
Do you have evidence of the "bleeding oil"? Puddles on the ground? No oil on dipstick right after you fill the pan? Trail of blue smoke that follows you everywhere? As for the coolant, if it is truly that low to trip the sender in the radiator(which is like 6" from the top), there will be a large air bubble in the system. The sender won't read the temp of the air, but can spike when the coolant finally goes by. Properly fill and burp the system. Do you have a trail of white smoke following you everywhere? My 94 with 184000 on it was a hard starter, too. Needed glow plugs.

Rhinoblazer
04-11-2004, 06:24
Forgot to mention a couple of things. It blows a ton of white smoke at all speeds and temps. It also dumps coolant out of the surge tank overflow.

tom.mcinerney
04-11-2004, 06:44
Probably blown head gaskets, probably some (possibly repairable) head cracks. The block may/not be cracked--this year not the worst for block cracking, most pre-'97 heads crack-prone.

dieselbegreat
04-11-2004, 08:57
Let the buyer beware? Yes, but also let the seller beware! Especially if it is a business selling vehicles. Generally, the more time that passes, the more difficult it will be to preserve a claim. Among other things, in order to "stop the clock," I would give the seller knowledge (notice) that there is a problem and reminding him that his specific representation to you was relied upon by you to your injury and that there will have to be an unwinding of the transaction, an equitable adjustment or other recourse, and giving a reasonable time to respond (ten days?) letting you know how he wants to proceed. Maybe he truly didn't know there was a problem. No need to escalate but see what the other party says. Maybe he'll bite the bullet and have it fixed for you! I would send it certified mail, return receipt requested, and have a witness with you if you speak in person. That notice is the beginning of your possible lawsuit if you choose that forum. smile.gif