PDA

View Full Version : Cam R&R

bdp
08-08-2006, 13:09
Whats involved in a cam r&r? I got acustomer here that brough me a badly missing 6.5 and in about 2 seconds I knew it was a lifter or pushrod, pulled the lifter and the roller is locked on it so it ground the cam.

So I am lookin at it and looks like easiest is pull the motor. Any thoughts? How bout a good place to snatch up a cam for him? He is trying to sell it but it has to get fixed first so little money is better.

Also what needs to be done with the computer and pump after taking it all loose? I am 6.5 dumb and like it that way but people keep bringing them to me so I guess I will work on them lol.

Robyn
08-08-2006, 15:41
yank the radiator and treat it like any chevy V8.
The high pressure line have to come off as does the water pump, timing cover,valve covers and the ballancer. Remove the rockers, push rods and such and unbolt the guide plates and fish out the lifters.
Remove the timing gears and chain/sprockets. Pump can remain in the block.
remoce the cam retainer plate. Remove the oil pump drive at the back and then slide the cam out the front.
Goop up the new one with Molly disulfide grease and stuf it in and do reverse to reassemble.
**** Pe prime the lifters before you put them in****
Be sure no pistons are at the top when replacing the rockers so as not to stuff a valve into them before the lifters equalize.
The pushrods go in with the copper colored ball in the rockers ( Its the hard end)
Lube the rocker fulcrum area with Molly too. If you can, run the oil pump with a modified vacuum pump with the gear turned down to get oil up to all the rockers before you fire it.
There ya go.
Robyn

Robyn
08-08-2006, 15:42
Cams are very long lived in these, a good used one with rebuilt lifters would sufice.

bdp
08-09-2006, 10:11
Wheres a good place to grab a cam and rebuilt lifters from?

Robyn
08-09-2006, 21:48
Most auto parts stores can help you with that need.
I got my lifters through a local engine parts supply house.

TAG
08-10-2006, 12:13
I am disassembling a 98 6.5 td right now, has a cracked block. had 122,000 miles on it. cam & lifters are still in block. can remove & number them if your interested.

Robyn
08-10-2006, 17:26
Boy now thats good deal.
Id grab it in a Newyork second.

bdp
08-15-2006, 05:59
I am disassembling a 98 6.5 td right now, has a cracked block. had 122,000 miles on it. cam & lifters are still in block. can remove & number them if your interested.

Dang, didnt see your post till today and already have stuff on the way, oh well.

Pull the cam, 7 out of 16 lifters were locked up and cam was in real bad shape, oil in this thing is like tar, worst oil I have seen in a long time in a diesel.

Anything I need to know about putting it all back together like some trick with the IP or just line up the timing marks and go?