PDA

View Full Version : Won't start.....Until after about 15 minutes

DennisG01
04-10-2004, 16:39
This has now happened twice, once back in November (it was not very cold, though). The truck had been sitting for about 3 hours (in November it sat overnight) when I went to start it again this afternoon. I tried to start it for a few minutes, but all it would do is crank. The only thing I could think of is it wasn't getting fuel, so I opened the fuel drain valve and turned the key to the run position. No problem there, though - plenty of fuel came out of the drain hose. I came back about 15 minutes later and it started right up!?!? Any thoughts - or is this just the nature of the beast?
PS: could someone please explain the function of the FSD to me?

tanker
04-11-2004, 02:47
Hi Dennis, I'll give you my thoughts. You may have a bad ignition switch, which could have a bad spot, which sometimes makes contact, sometimes not. Were the glow plugs working? Even in the warmest temps, if it hasen't run for a while, it will be hard to start, if they are not operational. The oil pressure sending switch controls the fuel to the lift pump, could also be bad. The electric lift pump, could be bad, and only work sometimes. You may have an air in the fuel system, (Fuel filter changed?) that you bleeded out when you opened the bleed valve. Did you check the codes? Could be a bad FSD, they can stop you on the road, wait a few minutes then start again.
You could also push in on all the electrical plug connectors. You did not state if any work has been done on the vehicle recently, that may have disturbed something. This is something to go on. How does it run after it does start? smile.gif

DennisG01
04-11-2004, 07:52
Thanks, Tanker, for the ideas. It is about due for a filter change. No, I haven't had any work done recently and when it started, it runs great as usual. Here's some more detail: with the initial turn of the key to the "start" position, the engine sounded like it was about to start for about 1 1/2 seconds but then only cranked. After a few seconds of cranking, I returned the key to the "run" position and waited about 10 seconds and then "start" again. Whenver I would only turn the key back to "run", it would only crank (no almost-start sound). The only times that the engine "almost started" was when I would turn the key to the "off" position and then back to "start". I don't know if this helps clarify things, but I'm afraid this might turn into one of those things that when I take it to the garge, it'll work fine, you know?

tanker
04-11-2004, 09:32
If you need a good GM dealer for a fix thats done right. I can highly recomend Bergey's GMC Rt.113 Franconia, Pa. Just south of Rt.309 near Souderton.
They have been there since 1924, my son and I both have had different things done, that we did not, or could not do ourselves. They are open 24 hours except sat-Sun.
Hope all works out well. smile.gif

gmctd
04-11-2004, 09:51
If you have not, try the 'search' function, above, for FSD, PMD, etc...

HowieE
04-11-2004, 10:13
If by saying "All it wouuld do but click" You may be just a few days behind me in changing out youyr starter. More than likely when the starter just clicks the contacts in the selinoid are burnt and only make contact some of the time. In my case the starter would act up after a long run when it was hot from engine heat. If left to cool down it would start after 10 or 15 mins.

Some rebuild shops will install just the selinoid but depending on milage and the fact that getting the starter out is a tight squeez I just replaced the whole thing last Thursday

ucdavis
04-12-2004, 13:33
Could be FSO. The Fuel Shut Off solenoid is a 1" diameter, upright cylinder front, left on the Injection Pump. This gets 12V, opens & fuel can flow (when you turn key to off this is what stops the engine). If it sticks shut, or the signal to it is bad, no fuel & nogo. You can check it easily in the don't start condition- have someone turn key on while you put your hand on the FSO & you should feel a solid "click" when it opens. No click, bad FSO. It should have either a hex nut on top or allen socket, probably nut. Spins off ccw looking down at it. Be careful to clean around it incl. the base B4 removing or you may contaminate the IP w/junk. Get a new one B4 hand from local Stanadyne dealer (look under Diesel Injection in the yellow pages).
If its not the FSO or ign. switch, go thru the Stalling article @
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm
Post any additional poop for more theories. Good luck.

DennisG01
04-13-2004, 06:40
Happened a second time yesterday. Of course, it was before I saw the post by ucdavis above. This time I only tried about 4 times to start it, but the same thing happens: it will sound like it's about to start if I turn the key from the "off" position, but only crank if I turn the key from the "run" position after trying to start it once. WEIRD! Tanker, I made a note of "Bergey's" in case the place I found doesn't work out - sounds like a good place. I'm going by the garage later today - maybe they can pull a code - the idiot light WAS on - however on the way to work this morning it turned itself off. I guess my truck has the ability to fix itself!?!? ;) :D