PDA

View Full Version : GREAT, Now it's my headlights

G B Sisson
11-25-2003, 20:22
Was coming home from a jobsite tonight and kept smelling 'hot electrical',couldnt trace it down till my headlight relay flashed the lights on and off(or is ir a circuit breaker). The rocker switch was real hot. I let it cool for 1/2 hour and drove home the last 20 min as the switch got hotter and hotter.. I have heard mention that headlights can be a problem source on these rigs. I sure need to fix this and the are no chev dealers on this island.Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I am definately no 'gmctd' when it comes to electrical matters,but I could change out a switch if that's what it is. Night vision goggles? GB

Barry Nave
11-26-2003, 02:18
When you lose your Head lights do you still have brakes lights and flashers?
Yes it is your head light S/W
Towing trailers are real hard on these S/W and our often needing replaced.
Making sure the terms. are in good contack with the S/W post, this goes a long way in trouble free operation.
If they are some what loose they really heat up.
I had to splice in a new wire and spade for the wire was so hot and melted to the old switch.
Pull the S/W out and do what you can to the wire till you get the new switch.
I was pulling a TT thru Teeneese light at night years ago and the light's just went out :eek:
**** :mad: Doing around 70mpg and famliy were asleep up to that point :eek: :mad: :eek: :confused:
I also started smelling wire just befor they went out and I was ready to pull over to CK what the smell was. I pulled over allright :rolleyes:
I always carry a wire kit when traveling and was able to temp. fix the wire till I got home.

[ 11-26-2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

Dimsdale
11-26-2003, 05:43
Get the headlight booster kits offered by several of the advertisers on the DP. They effectively bypass the switch, taking full power from the batteries. Switch only activates a low voltage relay. Brighter lights, no switch worries!

Then you add the "off road" 100W high beams......

Kennedy
11-26-2003, 06:18
The other thing in addition to e headlight kit is a Draw Tite Modu-Lite to remove any trailer light load. The parking light circuit also pulls a lot of juice. My switch still fried on the parking light side even with the HB kit on a NEW switch! :(

G B Sisson
11-26-2003, 07:15
THANKS! I will tear into it today for the temporary fix.If the switch is fried,do I still need a new one with booster kit?Does the kit have it's own switch,leaving the stock switch in the dash just to fill a hole? ............. Happy Thanksgiving,and no,I won't be basting my turkey with Marvel Mystery Oil. GB

rjschoolcraft
11-26-2003, 09:20
You will still need a new headlight switch. The relay kit that Kennedy sells just relieves the main load from the stock switch. The stock switch still provides power to the relay, kind of like your starter solenoid.