PDA

View Full Version : Tore into my 6.2 today Guess what I found

darkroad
08-05-2006, 18:04
Well I took the plunge today and moved the 1990 suburban beneath some shade trees, put up a 10 x 10 sun canopy put most of my tools into totes into the back of another suburban and ran electric and air out of the garage and pulled the motor out. Its about 100 feet from the garage but at least I am not out in the sun. No room in the garage and the ceiling is too short to pull motors. Took off all next week to get it back together and in the suburban again.

I figured that my chain was stretched but boy was I suprised. Over 7/8" of play, no wonder it smoked this winter when I started it. I checked the pump marks before I took it off and was expecting to find it a few lines off but it was over 1/4" from being lined up. Do you think they were compensating for the worn chain?

Boy are those engines heavy. I took a 1000 lb rated stand and added 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle braces and reinforced the legs and uprights with more angle. I pulled it with a tractor and boom pole when I lowered it onto the stand I was really wondering if it would hold the weight. It did but I dont think I was near as worried when I use to rebuild big block chevys as I was with this one.

So whats next, I'll pull the heads tomorrow and check out the piston crowns and bores for wear or overheating signs. May do a quick bottom end rering job if I am in doubt about anything. Have a new set of heads to go on, Felpro gaskets and bolts, rebuilt 4911 pump and rebuilt 6.5 turbo injectors, timing gears, hi flow water pump, rebuilt rocker arm assemblies and if it gets here in time a complete banks turbo kit. I think I will go ahead and drop the pan since I have it on the engine stand and check out the bottom end. While I'm there I will put in a new rear seal and check a few of the bearings to see how they look. I may go ahead and put in new freeze pllugs while I have it out.

Thank all of you for all the postings, they have helped a lot. I don't know if I would have attempted this without all the information that I have gleemed off this site.

Is there anything else that I need to look at while I have it apart? Would you go as far as putting in a new oil pump?

Again many thanks

Darkroad

Robyn
08-05-2006, 20:13
Howdy
be sure and replace the freeze plugs for sure.
You cant see whats behind them and they are usually bad after that many go rounds. My 94 was

john8662
08-05-2006, 23:08
You'll tear into the engine, but examine what you can live with.

How was the oil psi prior to the removal of the engine?

If good, leave the oil pump alone.

Install a stud girdle kit in the engine while you have it out and have the pan off, good insurance, especially if the goal is more power.

Sounds like a fun project.

You're right on the weight, they're a little mis-leading on their weight, kinda like some women are (actually weigh a little more than they let on) :D

hoot_223
08-07-2006, 21:59
the 6.2 is alittle over 1000lbs

Robyn
08-08-2006, 07:04
OMG
No wonder my engine stand groaned when I sat the 6.5 on it.
I did not think they were that heavy. I was figuring about the same as a 454

darkroad
08-08-2006, 14:53
Well as usual when I try to do something in an alotted amount of time Murphy's Law kicks me. I had it torn down to the short block, little bit of ring grove at the top of the cylinders and a couple looked like they had been a litle overheated. So I pulled the oil pan off and turned it over and pulled a couple of rod caps and a couple of mains. Bearings showed quite a bit of wear. Crank looked really good tho. Cam bearings need replacing So I yanked it all apart down to the bare block and am going to do a fairly good rering job. No time to wait for pistons and get the block bored, have to have the sucker back in the truck by Fri .
Still want to check wrist pin wear, have spare donor motor if I need a few. Pistons cleaned up reasonably well. All I need is about a couple of years out of this motor and by then I will have me another one ready to install.
Have a friend who runs a machine shop that said if I bring it by in the morning and leave it on my truck he will put me in the new set of cam bearings he ordered today be in tomorrow at 9:30. I think he feels that if I take it off he may just set it aside and not get it done. So its down to the bare block except for the cam bearings still in. Luckly no cracks in the web areas. Talk about some quick ordering on Monday.
Stud girdle in from Kennedy's UPS red arrived today, he was out of motor mount inserts so Summit Racing had them be here UPS 2 day tomorrow. Rings, rod bearings, main bearings, oil pump and freeze plugs UPS red from Diesel Direct came in today. the rest I picked up from local stores.

A whole lot more than I had planned to do in a week.
oh yea also did a quick fix on the leaking front seal in the turbo 400 in the truck. Pulled pump and put in new bushing, seal and pump gasket. Will get me by until I can get the 700r4 stuff ready to install. ALso need to replace transfer case output shaft seal.
Also haveing to duck rain storms here in central KY. Have a small 10 x 10 open sided tent to keep off the rain. Just keep on working between showers.
Ran all over Danville trying to find a 5 gal bucket of good carb cleaner to do all my small parts. Only one in town was a bucket of Macs at local NAPA $130 a bucket. Bucket didn't look like it was sealed too good, it actually was leaking a little at the parts counter. I figured it would be ok but when I got home I know why it was leaking. Someone had opened it and took out the parts basket.
They are ordering me another bucket , will be here tomorrow.

Have tried the water based cleaner in my 40 gal parts washer but haven't been satisfied with the results. Seemed to do ok on thin films of oil but anything greasy or thick it just wanted to cling to the cleaning brush and not float away very well. I used a industrial citrus based cleaner and
am going to Lowes to see what they have .

Darkroad

smcghan
08-19-2006, 14:03
Hey Darkroad,

Just out of curiosity, what was the cost of the stud girdle, rings, rod, main, oil pump etc? I'm having my heads done now and If I can afford it I'm going to re-ring etc the short block. I'm pretty much computer dumb. I've tried looking at Kennedy and Diesal direct's web sites. I can't ever find what I want. So hopefully I can use your knowledge of price to see if I can afford to do the bottom half. Thanks in advance

Steven

darkroad
08-19-2006, 16:33
Hi Stephen

Send me an e-mail and I will reply. Click on my name and send me a private e-mail. Tell me what year and what you want and I will get you the right part numbers so all you will need to do is go to the web pages and order. I was in the Auto parts /machine shop business for 10 years so its easy for me to navigate around those places. Its not really fair to start putting different companies prices on the forumn. Everyone has different overhead and pricing policies.

Thanks

Darkroad.