PDA

View Full Version : aero turbine muffler?

farmboy1989
08-03-2006, 19:01
I have heard about an aero turbine muffler. What is so special about it? How does it stack up sound wise and power wise vs. a straight pipe? I like straight pipes myself but was curious about this one.

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2006, 19:47
Snake oil. It may sound cool, but no verified power increase. Probably would increase EGT's. The only thing it can do dynamically is restrict exhaust to some degree. The best thing it'll do is nothing.

farmboy1989
08-04-2006, 05:43
So its like the Cummins badges on my truck. They may look cool but all it does is dissapoint ppl when they ask if it has a Cummins and i say no?

DmaxMaverick
08-04-2006, 10:41
So its like the Cummins badges on my truck. They may look cool but all it does is dissapoint ppl when they ask if it has a Cummins and i say no?

Anyone that asks what you got in it while staring at a badge needs a sign, regardless of what is actually under the hood.

I don't know about looking cool. I don't find anything cool about those phart can mufflers on those ricers. More like a persistent gnat in your ear. Most annoying.

farmboy1989
08-04-2006, 14:52
What started all of this is I was on the diesel place site and saw a video sound clip of a 6.5 with one. It didnt sound a whole lot diff. Personally I love a straight pipe for the sound, power, mpgs, smoke, and most of all the smile on ppl's faces when you go by.

Robyn
08-05-2006, 20:04
Dmax
Yes my sentiments exactly
Little rice grinders with 4inch tailpipe that whails and howls and screams. OMG what an anoying sound.
Bug Pharting in a coke bottle.
I put a set of 3.5 inch pipes all the way in my 502 rat in the dually and the last section of tail pipe goes up to 5 inch.
Now that has a real nice thump to it.
Has a spot around 35 mph though that rattles everything in the neighborhood. Really roars at 4500 rpm on a pull.
Oh BTW Farmboy
The look on them folks face when you go by with your straight pipe is not usually a smile but they are looking for something handy to throw at you. He he he he he :-)

farmboy1989
08-05-2006, 20:11
Actually ppl smile because I hang around with the hicks/rednecks. Your status is judged by how big yer truck is and how loud yer pipes are. I chose the unique route and went with a diesel.:)

rabt
08-06-2006, 17:36
My 95 and my Brothers 97 both saw a lot of low end grunt loss with straight pipe. Just putting the muffler in gave me my low end power back

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2006, 20:08
My 95 and my Brothers 97 both saw a lot of low end grunt loss with straight pipe. Just putting the muffler in gave me my low end power back

That theory works for N/A engines, but has no application with TD engines. Exhaust backpressure can be necessary to allow exhaust scavenging, to increase low end power. But with a turbo, ANY restriction is counterproductive. I don't know where your new found power came from, but is wasn't from adding a muffler. If you got more power after adding a muffler, it was coincidental. Something else happened at the same time.

JeepSJ
08-08-2006, 15:35
Search here for Aeroturbine, it has been covered. The feelings about the product are still the same.

rabt
08-09-2006, 14:13
That theory works for N/A engines, but has no application with TD engines. Exhaust backpressure can be necessary to allow exhaust scavenging, to increase low end power. But with a turbo, ANY restriction is counterproductive. I don't know where your new found power came from, but is wasn't from adding a muffler. If you got more power after adding a muffler, it was coincidental. Something else happened at the same time.

They lost all low end power before the boost ever came up. It was a major difference from idle to 1400-1500 RPM'S. I couldn't believe the difference myself when we done my brothers truck first and i thought the same as you as it was somthing else, then when i did my truck it did the same thing.

I went out and pulled the muffler off the truck and ran it just down pipe plus the 4' or so of pipe and went around the block this afternoon just to see the difference again, and man is it a big difference.

DmaxMaverick
08-09-2006, 16:51
They lost all low end power before the boost ever came up. It was a major difference from idle to 1400-1500 RPM'S. I couldn't believe the difference myself when we done my brothers truck first and i thought the same as you as it was somthing else, then when i did my truck it did the same thing.

I went out and pulled the muffler off the truck and ran it just down pipe plus the 4' or so of pipe and went around the block this afternoon just to see the difference again, and man is it a big difference.

I can see that under the turbo map. Problem is, once you get into the turbo, the opposite end will show the negative. Higher EGT's and power loss is the usual result. I know what you are saying, though. My '85 will eat up my 2001 between telephone poles, off idle. At lower RPM's, a turbo is a boat anchor.