PDA

View Full Version : PC scan software

JohnC
08-03-2006, 15:03
There was a thread a while back discussing the evolution of a PC Software package to scan the 6.5. Anyone know what the name of the package was?

DmaxMaverick
08-03-2006, 16:35
Autotap is very effective for most things, but not free.

There was one of our EU members working on a fully interactive OBD II scanner for use with a PC, but I don't remember his handle. If I run across it, I'll let you know.

john8662
08-03-2006, 18:20
I know that Kennedy was working on an OBD-1 scan software program to satisfy the lack of anything to work on the 94-95 models (besides Tech-1 &2).

Any word on that product?

I'm anxious to play with some software on the '96, being OBD-II, when I make that selection!

J

Kennedy
08-04-2006, 06:24
Just as a note, I have taken another large step forward (FINALLY) and have a pr of sample interface cables enroute. Once here and tested, the release should follow quite closely...

JohnC
08-04-2006, 10:17
Sorry, I meant to say ODB II

Was Autotap the one a member was working with to get the Diesel enhancements?

MTTwister
08-04-2006, 11:02
It was / is the http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html, doing a lot of requested mods from a user - c/h/b GMC Hauler - IIRC. He's heavy into mods...

You could get part of the software on-line - maybe E-Bay , but the key piece you had to get from them. Net effect was to get the package form them directly, about the same price - in the (edit - make that $400..) range I believe ( not including the Laptop, of course. ( oh, and Pocket PC, or Palm-based.. ) )

john8662
08-04-2006, 11:53
I think this is the name of the software developed free lance: GMTDScan

Word had it that an OBD-II was in development, that's the last I heard, probably can find a website out there for it...

GMC Hauler
08-06-2006, 06:02
I do use the Autoenginutiy software. One thing that was not made aware to me is the enhanced feature you purchase is only good for one year. I've discussed this with the owner, but not to my satisfaction. I am on hold right now with this device pending other avenues.

It was instrumental in finding a problem recently. see post http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23700&highlight=transmission

By using the connected scanner and wiggling the wires, we found a broken wire at the connection to the sensor.

These tools work and are a great adition to any mechanic's garage.

joed
08-07-2006, 11:40
I've been using Carcode software, for OBD II systems. It is designed to work on older laptops, will even run on windows 3.1. It does seem to do many functions, and it's now set up to do special 6.5 functions, inlcuding TDC learn (I personally haven't tried this) and individual cylinder disabiling. I've seem options for the duramax as well. He seems to typically update it every month, which can be downloaded.

I believe the website is OBD-2 dot com for more info.

Hope that helps. Joe.

noelb
08-07-2006, 15:28
I too now have a Carcode interface cable. It does allow to command a TCDOL as well as cylinder cut out + more. Have used both. It can also adjust the VSS for change in Final drive by either tyres or ratio - you name the percentage! (no need for a separate box) It is for OBD II. It has stacks of enhanced data. If you know how to program OBD II, I believe you can even add your own "enhancements". I have emailed Autotap and PCMScan and neither of them have any capability to "Make commands" to the PCM.

The price is good as well!

Cheers Noel

Robyn
08-07-2006, 17:49
I bought an Auto xray unit and it was fine for diagnostic stuff untill it took a poop. The cost to get it fixed was prohibitive.
I would love to get a lap top interface and software for the OBD1 for the 94-95 diesels

ronniejoe
08-07-2006, 18:30
Kennedy's software works really well. I've been Beta testing it for two years. I recorded everything during the Pull-Off with it and it is a great tool. When he gets it ready, I highly recommend it.

john8662
08-07-2006, 22:25
Kennedy's software works really well. I've been Beta testing it for two years. I recorded everything during the Pull-Off with it and it is a great tool. When he gets it ready, I highly recommend it.

Of course you have...

Robyn
08-08-2006, 07:34
RJ
For the OBD1 software??? what do you think this setup with an interface cable is going to be selling for.
I have the lap top already. I have been looking at many different options and none seem reasonable except the idea of using a laptop.
As I mentioned earlier I had an auroxray unit. I worked ok for a while but quit and the builder wants too much to fix it

ronniejoe
08-08-2006, 10:51
I have no idea. That'll be up to John to decide.

Robyn
08-08-2006, 15:33
Thanks
I will need to give him a yell on the land line and see whats in the wings.

Shikaroka
08-16-2006, 10:57
Will any of these "scanners" aid in the timing of the injector pump on a 96 6.5TD?

joed
08-16-2006, 11:22
I haven't personally done it yet, but the Carcode software does have Timing and TDC learn functions. I may give it a try one of these days...

Joe.

rjwest
08-16-2006, 18:08
Carcode will do the tdc functions,

Took me quite awhile to get the TDCO set,

Best results was reading the the TDCO with the laptop and
using the Key on/off for clearing the TDCO and letting the
PCM retime it when it warmed up...

Best part of Carcode:
All updates are free after you buy the interface cable...

Shikaroka
08-18-2006, 10:22
Hmmm, I guess I have some researching/learning to do. I'm all new to this.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is TDCO?

DmaxMaverick
08-18-2006, 12:40
Hmmm, I guess I have some researching/learning to do. I'm all new to this.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is TDCO?

Top Dead Center Offset. That is the computer's adjustment, of the actual physical setting of the pump timing.

kaylabryn
08-18-2006, 15:10
While on the subject, what is the cheapest peice of machinery or software that I can use to set TDCO on a 95 burban? Thanks upfront!!!

Dimsdale
08-20-2006, 06:38
I, too, use the Autoenginuity scan tool, and successfully installed a new injection pump by myself using it. I also have an Autotap, but they have not been exactly forthcoming with the Diesel updates or functionality, particularly when compared with the Autoenginuity tool.

Autotap wants me to spend another $250 to upgrade to their latest model which *may* have the functionality of the Autoenginuity, but I have no evidence to support that. Not exactly a way to get a loyal following.

Autoenginuity has the bidirectional controls, so you can actually interact with the engine and drivetrain like the big boys with the Tech 2. My current version of the Autotap does not have any bidirectional control features, which are needed to do a proper IP install.

I had one problem with the readouts, submitted the problem to the author of Autoenginuity, and had a fix within two days that I could download and use.

Until something better and/or cheaper comes along, my vote is for the Autoenginuity. It has consistently gotten better and more powerful with each version.

azblazor
08-20-2006, 19:19
I have the Autoenginuity software.

I was not aware that the license expires after 1 year though!! Thanks GMChauler for that bit of info. I'll definately have to check on that ($400 is way to much to repeat every year no matter how good a product it is)

I am pretty happy with the software and the support also. I live not to far from the "home" office and have had Jay (the owner) spend a couple of hours on my truck with his computers checking on a bug that cropped up in my software. He then sent me a revised beta version within a couple of days.

DaveNY
08-20-2006, 20:09
I too have the AE and have spoken to Jay about the 1 year limit. His explanation is that upon purchase of his soft ware you also get free downloads of upgrades for one year. At the end of the year you must resubscribe ($50.00) for aditional year of upgrades if you want.If you choose not to your AE will continue to function with all the info you have downloaded to date. Mine works well and have gotten good support when needed.
My 2 cents Dave

Shikaroka
08-21-2006, 08:12
Thanks guys!
It looks like I might go with the AutoEnginuity product.
Do you have to buy the additional GM add-on to get the ability to set the timing?

azblazor
08-21-2006, 08:53
Do you have to buy the additional GM add-on to get the ability to set the timing?
The answer is YES. I believe it's called the "Enhanced interface for GM" this page has the details along with the yearly license information that I failed to read/comprehend before purchasing:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/products-software.html

The yearly $50 fee for the enhanced software upgrades sounds pretty reasonable upon reflection.

rjwest
08-21-2006, 13:37
CarCode, cable is 125$ GM software is downloaded with an email of software USID number, Thereafter all software upgrades are free for all GM vehicles

Does TDCO and Dead cylinder tests, and other write command tests.

OBD-2.com

Shikaroka
08-21-2006, 19:16
Ok RJ,
You've convinced me. Are you going to teach me how to use this thing?

rjwest
08-22-2006, 13:58
NO NO NO.
Thats the down side, No documentation to speak of...

It's a self learning tool...

When you get it figured out, I will ask you questions,

Really, Like most programs , I use about 10%,
rest are do dads that don't seem to have any real world value.

I did get my TDCO set after the diesel shop screwed with it for 4 hours, took me about 2 hours after I figured out how to loosen the nuts,,,,

It has been a great tool for me, I have experiemnted with
quite a few things, and having the program hooked up
I was able to reset the codes on the fly,

works great to reset the overboost / defuel and the Trans cohidden codes..

Shikaroka
08-22-2006, 17:33
I got ya.
Thanks for all the help! (seriously, not joking this time)

I just wanted to make sure I'd be able to time my pump after replacing it. So, I think I found my answer. I'll be ordering one soon.

TurboDiverArt
08-23-2006, 11:49
Reading this. What's the difference feature wise between the AutoEnginuity(AE) and the CarCode software? It appears they do the same things. AutoEnginuity seems more expensive and you pay for yearly updates while CarCode updates are free for life? CarCode is $125 and AutoEnginuity is $400 plus $50/yr after that. There must be something that AutoEnginuity does that CarCode doesn't to warrant the extra money? Seems the only negative I can find for CarCode is that there is no documentation.

Thanks,
Art.

rjwest
08-23-2006, 12:42
I have not used any other scan program, therefore I can not compare, When I first got the Carcode no write commands were available, It has been updated a few times since than,

I beleive there may be some interesting history to the
different programs, as I have looked at some other examples
on the internet and they appear to share some common
screens,operations, etc,

The Car Code guy seems to be an original programer,
Got this feeling from talking to him,

For the price I do not believe one can go wrong,

I always start at buying the cheapest and go more expensive as I lean, In this case , cheap was good,

Please, this is not an endorsement, Just my thoughts.

As for setting TDCO, I found it easier to use the Scan tool
to just read the TDCO to insure '0' is cleared, and than let the PCM set the TDCO. than reread the set value:

IE: do the KEY ,on/off to let the PCM clear TDCO , Than read the scan tool, check that '0' is in TDCO , Than, start truck and let 170 deg temp
trigger the TDCO learn, and than reread TDCO for set value.
Repeat as required after each mechinical adjustment.
The TDC will than be within range...

Took me quite awhile to figure it out,
The scan tool will force a TDCO, but I was more comfortable with the PCM doing it by itself....

noelb
08-23-2006, 17:05
I agree with RJWEST. I got the same feeling Alex was around in the very begining. I also suspect that he has the right contacts to get the enhanced data we are all looking for. When I was emailing some of the other companies about their scanners I was told by them that they would like to have the enhanced data but didn't want to pay the thousands of dollars GM was asking.

For the $200 AUD it cost to get it to me in Australia, including the USB adaptor - PLUS free software updates... How can you go wrong!

You might need some pointers on how to get the most out of it! I am happy to be of assistance.

Ed2000
10-27-2006, 14:00
I was wondering if anyone in the North Georgia area could help me out with scanning my 1996 6.5TD ? It has been running really rough as if a sensor is bad. I live 10 minutes from Blue Ridge, GA? Anyone out can help?

Also, I have read so much about this downloadable software called Car Code, but you need a cable at a cost of $150.00. Question, how well does this program work, and is there anyone building an aftermarket cable?

I vehicle has been down for 4 months, unable to get codes read.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Ed

figueroa@ellijay.com