PDA

View Full Version : no tach, fuel leak...

Northern Wrangler 6.2
08-03-2006, 05:26
Ok, so I have a host of problems, but gotta start somewhere. Tach not reading, but alternator is charging......and engine light is on. Lots of black smoke at start up and under hard acceleration......

fuel leak at rear of engine....maybe from the filter...

has 190,000 miles, runs well, (seems to)....I'm so used to the 6.2, this one is quieter (cab is better too)....truck is rough, but I think it's a worthwhile project...

any hints ? I've read about cleaning/replacing battery cables....but how does the tach get it's signal from the alternator..? Should I look for a bad wire ?

Kev

john8662
08-03-2006, 08:40
The tach reads off the alternator, it's possible for the alternator to charge but not provide a tach output.

A check at the auto parts store will likely not show the problem either.

Could be a bad tach as well.

broken record time...

Check grounds, clean your battery connections, do the "Dr. Lee" side terminal upgrade...

broken record stopped

The fuel leak is likely the fuel filter housing, remove the housing and replace the o-rings, while doing this inspect your fuel line connections. There is one o-ring on the bottom of the housing that can be replaced and that causes leaks.

Sometimes the housing leaks on the fuel heater on the bottom, this part isn't easily servicable, but IS repairable (as I found out recently).

J

K. D.
08-09-2006, 20:52
I have found that loss of tach signal is usually the first warning the alternator is going to quit. You can check with a multimeter for any output on the signal wire.

K. D.

Bnave95
08-10-2006, 02:04
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm

Chevrolet4x4s
08-13-2006, 19:56
How do you hook up a tach to an alternator..........do you have to use the very expensive diesel tachometer or can you get by with a $39.95 parts store special tachometer.
Thanks
Shane

Bnave95
08-14-2006, 01:53
How do you hook up a tach to an alternator..........do you have to use the very expensive diesel tachometer or can you get by with a $39.95 parts store special tachometer.
Thanks
Shane
http://www.thedieselpage.com/back03.htm
Buy this and your set. Most of us have them;)