PDA

View Full Version : Light Booster - WOW!

Perry
04-09-2004, 07:50
I just installed the Light Booster from http://www.dieselservices.com/ and can't believe the difference. The lights (and the brakes) have been the biggest complaints I've had since buying my Suburban 5 years ago.

I'm not that handy with the wrench, but I was able to get it all installed in less than an hour.

I currently have the 70W low beam bulbs in (i know its for off road only), and I was surprised no one flash me to turn them down. Its probably because people around here are used to all the high end imports with their bright lights. I will probably switch back to the original bulbs if I start getting too many complaints.

No relation to the company. Just a satisfied customer.

Perry

TurboDiverArt
04-09-2004, 13:07
Originally posted by Perry:
I just installed the Light Booster from http://www.dieselservices.com/ and can't believe the difference. The lights (and the brakes) have been the biggest complaints I've had since buying my Suburban 5 years ago.

I'm not that handy with the wrench, but I was able to get it all installed in less than an hour.

I currently have the 70W low beam bulbs in (i know its for off road only), and I was surprised no one flash me to turn them down. Its probably because people around here are used to all the high end imports with their bright lights. I will probably switch back to the original bulbs if I start getting too many complaints.

No relation to the company. Just a satisfied customer.

Perry Are the 70W/100W bulbs the Phillips Rally Series bulbs? I thought they were discontinued?

Thanks,
Art.

Perry
04-09-2004, 14:59
They are the philips rally bulbs.

I've read that they don't last long though. So I'm already looking for replacements (different model) to keep in the glove box for that day they go out. Any suggestions and best place to buy them? Stores around here only carry the DOT approved bulbs and I don't want the blue tinted ones.

Perry

Perry
04-09-2004, 18:15
Based on postings on various internet sites, I ended up ordering a set of Sylvania Silverstar 9006 bulbs. They are 55w DOT legal, and people who have them swear by them. Bought a pair on Ebay for $25.95 which is the price most auto stores want for one around here.

I'm sure it won't be as bright at the 70W rallys, but I'll be a better citizen. But I'm leaving the 100W high beams for those lonely stretches of road.

Perry

TurboDiverArt
04-09-2004, 19:15
Originally posted by Perry:
Based on postings on various internet sites, I ended up ordering a set of Sylvania Silverstar 9006 bulbs. They are 55w DOT legal, and people who have them swear by them. Bought a pair on Ebay for $25.95 which is the price most auto stores want for one around here.

I'm sure it won't be as bright at the 70W rallys, but I'll be a better citizen. But I'm leaving the 100W high beams for those lonely stretches of road.

Perry I had the 55W Phillips DOT bulbs from Kennedy. They are much better than the standard 55W DOT bulbs. I also just put in a set of 80W Super Whites and I really don't see a difference, in fact the jury is still out if they are in fact worse than the Phillips. I think John Kennedy runs the 70W in his truck and has been for a while. In general, the problem with high wattage bulbs going out is that the wiring doesn't support the voltage.

I'd love to get a set of 70W Rally's if you have a source.

Art.

Bobbie Martin
04-10-2004, 03:08
You might find this article (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html) interesting.

BBCB
04-11-2004, 11:36
Thanks for the link....

"Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is selected so as to be overdriven" - this is the simple statement has been the bane of my existance. I've gotten it down to a 30min job for both, 15 for one headlight. Though the light is 100% better than the stock bulbs, these bulbs don's last worth a lick.

So now to find:
Sylvania Xtravision (in the pink-and-black package),
Osram Super and SilverStar(outside North America only!),
Philips High Visibility (North America),
Premium and Vision Plus (outside North America),
Narva RangePower

I'll update with any pricing I can find...

BBCB

dstoops
04-12-2004, 18:12
I'm pleased to report that my '95 K2500 still has every single bulb that was factory installed. (179,000 miles) I'm very surprised that they have lasted as long.....I've not replaced one bulb anywhere on it. I was running a diode between the high and low beam circuits that allowed the low beams to assist during high beam operation. That worked well until the diode failed. Has anyone else noticed that there is a high percentage of the 99 and up GM trucks running around with only one "daytime running light" functioning?????

G. Gearloose
04-13-2004, 03:04
I found the DRL on the new body trucks is just a clear, spade style, two filiament 1157, nothing special.

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2004, 11:26
The late model DRL bulbs are 3157. The 1157's are the old socket style. Most auto part stores don't list the right ones in their book.

Cheap and easy to replace.