PDA

View Full Version : Metal contamination

DGaydos
04-08-2004, 19:40
my '97 silverado full size 6.5 has been stalling and hadr to restart. Dealer said the fuel sys has metal contamination and that it comes from the fuel.

Has anyone seen or heard of metal contamination?

thanks

dj

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2004, 20:32
It's usually caused by a failed injection pump. Not the other way around, like the line the dealer will try to sell.

Pump fails internally, returning metal to the tank. Fuel pump picks up the metal and sends it to the fuel filter. Dealer blames the failed pump on metal contamination, and collects 3 grand for a new IP install and fuel system cleansing. Of course, it's your fault.

plowking35
04-09-2004, 03:26
I went through the same BS last fall, I found a dealer that asnt try to bag me for the repair, and had them repair it. Didnt cost me a dime, but you have to have a dealer that is honest.
I had the same issues as well. Metal contamination in the fuel system.
Dino

tanker
04-09-2004, 04:03
They drained my tank, cleaned it out, and placed a magnet in the bottom of the tank for future metal. I guess the should have put a filter on the return line.

CleviteKid
04-09-2004, 05:17
Now that Tanker has planted this seed in his own brain, it won't be too long until "Tanker's Toy" is sporting the prototype fuel return line filter.

Tom, let us know how it works out, so we can all copy your idea.

Dr. Lee :cool:

gmctd
04-09-2004, 15:43
I would wonder what level of return-line filtration could result in the rubber connector hoses on the injectors 'blowing' off.
They are not pressure-duty hose.

Think maybe the clear plastic gasoline filters would cause any problems?

gymcarm
04-11-2004, 08:23
How about a magnet around a clear or translucent filter or water separator? What I am thinking about is the old glass fuel bowls like I have on my 1936 Farmall tractor. Offers no restriction, but a magnet would catch any iron particles.

rjwest
04-11-2004, 15:55
I added a pre filter/water seperator (perma cool 2 micron ) and usually get rusty looking water when draining..
????? Could the GM filter be no good for the rusty stuf.

tom.mcinerney
04-14-2004, 20:17
RJ--[comment, not answer].
The Stanadyne conditioner assy is fine iff 1.) It's drained before filter replacement 2.) It's properly bled after filter replacement 3.) It has the internal screen where it belongs, and it doesn't leak. But even then, any crud that gets by the pickup sock in tank will cycle thru the LP...
Defender having Racor sale...
http://www.defender-outlet.com/clearance_web/motors.htm.

[ 04-14-2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: tom mac 95 ]

rjwest
04-15-2004, 07:05
I have 1 problem with the factory water seperator..

Both Racor and Perma cool, state that the water seperator function works best when installed
in the suction side of lift pump. I guess pressure
forces water droplets through filter rather collecfting on filter and draining to bottom.

How does factory water seperater differ from
racor/perma cool so they can trap water.

I have never gotten water from factory drain.
I do get water out of add on filter.

DGaydos
04-18-2004, 20:19
thanks for all the replies. It went in for the IP replacement under the 120k,11 years warrantee on the pump and the metal contamination took me by suprise.

They did replace the ip but got me for a flush, lift pump and magnets.

Thanks again.

dj

gmctd
04-18-2004, 20:48
RJ - in the factory ws\filter, fuel enters thru the bottom, goes around some sharp corners under pressure, then up a tubular elevation. It's a combo centrifugal\gravity type. Pump pressure forces the water out thru the bottom drain.

Fuel enters the top of the aftermarket types, and falls thru, filling the bowl. Gravity does the rest. Water is drained from the bottom.

rjwest
05-02-2004, 10:57
GMCTD, Thanks for reply, just got back from trip.

GM filter sounds to complicated, Guess I'm
satisified that the extra filter was worth the money spent... Still get some water each time I drain it.

Still wonder where it went before I installed
extra filter...