PDA

View Full Version : serpentine belt problems

4inchsnappy
07-31-2006, 22:17
I just removed my vaccum pump it was making a lot of noise and I have a mechanical waste gate. I've got a new belt for a 93 which is suppose to work on a 95' I think the part # is 601010, I installed a new tenioner,........ the belt has jumped off 3 times. should it be routed differently now that the vaccum pump is removed? FYI I have AC.

Bnave95
08-01-2006, 02:34
I just removed my vaccum pump it was making a lot of noise and I have a mechanical waste gate. I've got a new belt for a 93 which is suppose to work on a 95' I think the part # is 601010, I installed a new tenioner,........ the belt has jumped off 3 times. should it be routed differently now that the vaccum pump is removed? FYI I have AC.
Is the new belt running tight.

4inchsnappy
08-01-2006, 09:25
Yes it is, how do you gauge this? the tesioner is suppose to do this work correct? and it is a new GM tensioner. I actually tried the old tensioner and the belt jumped off as well. it jumps off with in 15 seconds of start up.

garre1tt
08-01-2006, 19:14
Route the belt the same way but you will have to buy a shorter belt.
I did this last year and from previous post went with a 990. It was to tight so ended up with a 1000. These are the last numbers on your current stock belt.
Yes the tentioner should take up the slack but the difference is 101" for the 1010 and gets smaller to a 100" for the 1000 and the 0900 is only 99".
One inch biger or smaller is more than the tentioner can do.

Try the 1000 first and get a good belt.

The parts place took back the wrong belt for full refund. Get to know those folks and life with the 6.5 is much nicer.

Michael D

4inchsnappy
08-02-2006, 12:03
thanks for the info Michael D. I ended up puting the vaccum pump on to see if the belt would stay on, it did. With the vaccum pump off and the shorter belt it would jump off. I began investigating and believe the alternator pulley does not line up. the whole alternator not just the pulley appear canted or twisted slightly, I may have a loose bracket or worse bent bracket. This is tonights project. I will use the shorter belt after I fix the problem and remove the vacumme pump yet again.

TurboDiverArt
08-03-2006, 12:37
Now that I too am using a manual wastegate I