PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Start When Hot

eembry
07-31-2006, 16:03
I have a '92 2500 Chevy with a 6.5 Turbo. It is getting hard to start when you drive it long enough to get it good and hot then shut it off for a while then try and restart it. Are there any sensors or anything that would cause this or is it more serious? Thanks for any help.

More Power
07-31-2006, 19:05
The online Troubleshooting Resource (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm) in the Member's Area has a section about just this problem.... :)

Jim

bobt
08-01-2006, 00:46
When my '93 had that problem, it was the glow plug controller. When driven for a while, then shut off for 30 to 45 minutes, it wouldn't start. If I let it cool off long enough(50-60 min) to get a glow plug glow(even for a split-second), it would then start; or, if it was shut down for less than 30 min, would start right up. Seems that in that gap of 30-45 min, glow plug controller wasn't sensing that the engine was warm enough to start without glow. When I replaced the glow plug controller, problem was solved. Hope this info may help.
Bob

eembry
08-02-2006, 18:33
Thanks guys for the help I will check the controller to see if it is working correctly.

Herman_Bolger
08-06-2006, 16:02
I have a '93 and have the exact same symptoms, after many tests and wishfull thinking, I am in the process of changing the injecter pump right now. Finally after a member suggested pouring cold water over the pump, to see if it starts easier wich we did it fired right up after that, we are puting a new pump on right now, should be done this week.

Herman

Bnave95
08-07-2006, 03:13
I have a '93 and have the exact same symptoms, after many tests and wishfull thinking, I am in the process of changing the injecter pump right now. Finally after a member suggested pouring cold water over the pump, to see if it starts easier wich we did it fired right up after that, we are puting a new pump on right now, should be done this week.

Herman
Any chance you will be installing new injectors at this time also?
Injectors and IP make a great couple:)

Herman_Bolger
08-10-2006, 19:45
Well we have installed our rebuilt pump into our '93 dually. Of course we did not have any of the special wrenches that are required, so a few skinned knuckles and forearms later, and it's in.
It took about 6 hrs to disassemble, removed intake, pump, oil filler etc. disconnected pump from lines, removed 3 nuts from the back of the pump, but could not remove pump. called one of my GM mechanic buddies who then told me about the 3 bolts that have to be accessed through the oil filler. Funny when I asked him to help he was real busy, anyway, we removed the pump.
Installing was not much smoother, no special wrenches remember, finally installed all the lines bolted the pump, intake etc took about 4 hrs, just wanted to hear it fire before I went home tonight, you know. I primed the lift pump by opening the bleeder on top of the filter and took the fuse out of the holder and held it to the power terminal, fuel came out of the top of the filter so I closed the top. Tried to fire it up but it just cranked over. Do I need to bleed the injector pump? If so how do I do it? What about each injector do those need to be bled? Any other procedures that I need to be aware of before I do any damage to anything? Lined up the timing marks that are on the pump and on the engine block.
The injectors were replaced when the last owner installed a stock jobber rebuild, along with a new set of glow plugs, but I do not know what type they are, I am assuming they would be stock jobber type replacements. The engine only has about 15,000 miles on it.
Anybody know what book time is to r&r a db2 mech pump, just wondering

Bnave95
08-11-2006, 02:48
With the DB2 pump you will want to crack a few injector lines at the injector till you see fluid.

Bnave95
08-12-2006, 02:34
How's it running now?

Herman_Bolger
08-12-2006, 18:35
Brave,

Well we did everything that we could, but being new to this diesel stuff, aparently we must have done something wrong. After getting the pump installed we bled the lines at the injectors, then took the truck for a ride, ran like a bag of cr*p. No power very slow to accelerate,etc. So I called the place that did our pump to see if there was a local person that experiance with the 6.5, in our area. After a few referals we ended up takeing our truck to a shop about 30 min away. They are supposed to look at it on Mon am.
I have been in the auto and truck/ boat repair bussiness since 1985, and finally if there's one thing i have learned," do what you know,and pay others to do what they know and you don't" of course sometimes your not sure what you do or don't know intill it's too late.
Anyway, hopefully It will be just a matter of getting it timed right, hopefuly.
Herman

Herman_Bolger
08-15-2006, 18:08
Just in case anyone's interested, we took our truck to a local diesel shop and told the owner our story, installed our own pump,etc, etc, He took a look at what we done and apparently one of the injector lines at the pump was not tight enough and was leaking. So he tightend up the one line that was leaking and it smoothed right out. Took it for a ride and it had a slight "miss".
Put the timing tool on and it was about 3 deg off? Anyway it runs quite well now, we'll see how it behaves over the next couple of days, it seems to be good now!

Bnave95
08-16-2006, 02:08
Good to hear,you were close;)