PDA

View Full Version : Removal of FSD from IP

Spindrift
04-08-2004, 04:43
I'm in the process of a remote mount for my new FSD. I want to remove the old FSD from the IP to have available as a spare. Will the removal of the four torx screws from the FSD completely separate the FSD from the IP?

Thanks.

Phil Holmen
04-08-2004, 05:16
Yes, removal of the four screws will allow you to remove the FSD from the IP.

Chad Mac
04-08-2004, 13:03
Spendthrift,

I just finished this job about a week ago on mine and it has ran perfect since. I don't know if I did it the right way but I had to remove the upper and lower intakes just to get to the FSD. After that, just the four screws and unplugging the electrical connection will free it from the injection pump. However, I had to manufacture my own tool to do remove the 4 bolts (a torx bit sawed down and welded to a piece of flatbar). I guess the other way to do it is to remove the injection pump assembly from the motor so that you can get to these 4 screws without my special torx wrench but I didn't have the equipment to reset the pump timing. If you do it my way you'll need new upper and lower intake gaskets, a self-made torx wrench and lots of time and patience. Good luck!

MTTwister
04-08-2004, 14:03
Theoretically you can rotate the IP without removing it, but still may have to remove the intake. ( Don't grab it by the nice verticle handle they put on there tho'.) Carefully scribe re-alignment marks, 'cause it doesn't take much 'offage' to affect timing, evidently.

If the current FSD hasn't given you any problems - you might want to considerleaving it on the IP as a spare... cover the plug-in port to keep the dirt out.

ucdavis
04-09-2004, 08:43
Twister's idea is a good one. That's what I did. It means you have the added cost of another FSD, but many carry a spare anyway. W/the spare on the IP, all you need to do if the remote one fails is unplug from the remote, & plug into the IP unit & go. Fiddle w/a proper fix back at the barn.

Marty Lau
04-09-2004, 12:46
Originally posted by MTTwister:
Theoretically you can rotate the IP without removing it, but still may have to remove the intake. ( Don't grab it by the nice verticle handle they put on there tho'.) Carefully scribe re-alignment marks, 'cause it doesn't take much 'offage' to affect timing, evidently.

If the current FSD hasn't given you any problems - you might want to considerleaving it on the IP as a spare... cover the plug-in port to keep the dirt out. Right MT......and with no electrons going through the resistors they won't burn up!

rjwest
04-09-2004, 13:50
If you have a short 6 " cable attached to IP mounted "spare" , than it is easy and quick to remove extension cable(remote mounted fsd ) from eng harness and plug eng harness into IP Mounted
extension cable.....

To fabricate new cable....
The " defective " fsd's socket can be cut off
of the fsd with hacksaw, and copper terminals
exposed, the new cable that comes with New FSD
can be used as " male end of new (6")extension
cable.
Don't use heat to expose fsd socket pins after cutting off( distorts pin positions ) carefully remove with exacto knife or other tool to expose pins for soldering..

lots of rtv for insulation..

AND TEST IT when done....

JTodd
04-12-2004, 05:11
I just finished removing my FSD from its stock location and have a few observations. First, it is a PITA. If you plan on doing it, get some kind of remote system so you won't need to do it again. The biggest pain is snaking the manifold out, then virtually lying across the engine bay to remove the four screws.

I would recommend removing the upper radiator hose. It makes accessing a couple of the manifold bolts and the FSD much easier. As for the torxs screw removal tool -- I made mine from a piece of 1/8

ucdavis
04-12-2004, 12:30
Jeff- Best method for access for the FSD dance is to
1) take the hood off for clearance,
2) use a tall cherry picker,
3) rent that harness rig Tom Cruise used in Mission Impossible & dangle from the cherry picker while doing the FSD dance.
Better still if you can arrange anti-gravity conditions for avoidance of the strained neck...
Seriously though, some make a temp seat over the engine compartment for this kind of work since you'll be there a while, and yes, there's a thing or 2 that gotta come off to get at the little critter.