PDA

View Full Version : Truck stalling

Spagetti Chevy
07-27-2006, 14:07
Well im new to the site and am having a few problems with the ol girl.She runs fine when shes cold but as soon as it warms up it bucks and kicks and then stalls.I have the pmd cooler and installed a new lift pump and still the same problem is there.Ive changed the filter as well.running out of things to fix i hope that its not the ip.what about the ops what is the correct voltage to the lift pump?If you have a bad ip what is the best way to diagnose that?

and another thing should the fuel filter be full of fuel all the time??.After the truck starts giving me problems i shut the truck off and put it in drive turn the key forward and let the lift pump run.I crack the fuel filter and i can hear a short burst of air come out and then nothing....Should there be fuel coming out right away or should i have to wait for the fuel to fill back up??Could i have an air issue ?

95 chev 3/4ton 2wd 6.5 turbo diesel

JohnC
07-27-2006, 15:00
start with this thread (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=2938)

Spagetti Chevy
07-27-2006, 19:33
I read alot of threads about symptoms and problems but i rarely see what ppl have done that actually worked.

JTodd
07-28-2006, 03:17
You indicate you have a PMD cooler, is it a new pmd? There are two things to do, the first is to clean all engine electric grounds. I think there are 4 or 5 of them. There are threads discussing their location. The next thing is to replace the PMD / FSD. Many have gone through this same scenario, and about 98% of the time it is one of these two, with the vast majority going to FSD problems.

Spagetti Chevy
07-28-2006, 07:56
When the truck is cold it fires right up.as soon as it gets to operating temp it starts running like crap.I think its a fuel problem.the pmd is brand new and the lift pump is new.Ive even changed the ops last night its new too.its almost like its starving for fuel.My question is....the fuel filter do you think that it must be full all the time with no air under the cap.when the truck stalls i put the truck in drive and turn the key to start position i then get out and let the lift pump fill the fuel bowl till i see diesel come out the drain cock.it always seems empty .idont know.

ive read the threads and they seem to be no help.

DmaxMaverick
07-28-2006, 11:24
....My question is....the fuel filter do you think that it must be full all the time with no air under the cap.when the truck stalls i put the truck in drive and turn the key to start position i then get out and let the lift pump fill the fuel bowl till i see diesel come out the drain cock.it always seems empty .idont know.

ive read the threads and they seem to be no help.

Wrong bleeder. The valve at the front of the engine near the coolant outlet is a DRAIN (for water, sediment, etc.), not a bleeder. You should be bleeding by opening the plastic cap on top of the filter, then pump it up just like you've been doing. Once you have fuel coming out of the bleeder, the filter will be full.

Problem is, with the way you explain you've been doing it, only enough fuel will get into the filter to get to the drain, and the top will remain empty.