PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel

turbovair
07-24-2006, 16:17
I have a place here in Phoenix that offers Biodiesel. The grade they offer is B-100. I have been thinking about 1/2 tank of #2 and the rest B-100. That should yield a tank of B-50, correct? Does anyone have experience running commercial Biodiesel with the 6.5? Will it harm the diesel pump?
Not that the biodiesel is cheap, I was just thinking about temporarily lowering emissions for emissions testing purposes. I have been running close to the limit in the past and want to hedge my bet this year.

Warren96
07-24-2006, 16:44
Wich emmision,CO'2, smoke? Some even check for hydrocarbons.

83Blzr62
07-25-2006, 01:54
I have been running the stuff from western states petroleum for about 2 years. It used to be much cheaper, but started to rise in price because more people saw that it was cheaper and started to use it. Anyways it should not hurt the injection pump because yours is newer, well compared to mine anyways, but you should ask someone who rebuilds injection pumps to be absolutuly sure. Also if you run it for a long time you might start deteriorating rubber fuel line, but I have had no problems yet. The first time you use it you might need to change your fuel filters after a while as it cleans out all the dino gunk that may have built up in you tank and lines. If you only use it once for emissions I doubt it could do any serious harm other than cleaning out your tank and clogging your filters. For emissions it may hurt your NOx if your timing is off and the C02 will stay the same. THe only reason tree huggers like it because of CO2 is because it is carbon nuetral and only releases the same amount of c02 that the plants that it was made from consumed. It will reduce particulates, airtoxins(cancerous stuff), hydrocarbons and everything besides NOx.
Good Luck with emissions,
Kyle

turbovair
07-25-2006, 15:30
Particulate (opacity) was mainly what I concerned about. Sorry i didnt make that clear. That is mainly what they check for in this locale.

MTTwister
07-26-2006, 09:39
Turbovair - I'll be relocating there sometime next year. Do they check to see if the CAT is still hanging around? I was thinking of upgrading the exhaust, and am debating getting rid of the Cat Can ( it's empty now however.)

Where's the best station to get one of these rigs tested?

Thanks /Tom w