PDA

View Full Version : Bang goes the rearend

HH
07-24-2006, 08:24
Bang goes the rear in the K3500. 3 large chipped pinion teeth and a couple small ones on the ring gear. Is this carrier OK to reuse? Maybe it needs to be replaced with a LS or lockable. Pretty ground up, right up to the bolt heads. Oil had a silver tint. Truck is still driveable, pulled the broken parts out, refilled it, and towed a boat with it over the weekend, but I think it is on borrowed time. Time to change gear ratio also.

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 08:30
Bang goes the rear in the K3500. 3 large chipped pinion teeth and a couple small ones on the ring gear. Is this carrier OK to reuse? Maybe it needs to be replaced with a LS or lockable. Pretty ground up, right up to the bolt heads. Oil had a silver tint. Truck is still driveable, pulled the broken parts out, refilled it, and towed a boat with it over the weekend, but I think it is on borrowed time. Time to change gear ratio also.
First I've seen this on a 14bolt. Carrier will be all right.Strange it is not a locker. How did you fine this problem,noise?

HH
07-24-2006, 09:21
Yes, made a loud bang followed by a grinding noise, which went away, it sounded like it was coming from the rear. I pulled the cover to check things out when I got home Thursday night as I had to tow a boat to central WI Friday morning. I thought it was strange too, especially since EVERYONE rips on me for driving like a grandma.

Bnave95
07-25-2006, 03:41
Yes, made a loud bang followed by a grinding noise, which went away, it sounded like it was coming from the rear. I pulled the cover to check things out when I got home Thursday night as I had to tow a boat to central WI Friday morning. I thought it was strange too, especially since EVERYONE rips on me for driving like a grandma.
If you drive it now once the pcs. are out hows it sound,feel? A chunk probley took more teeth with it,luckly it did'nt do a total trash of the rear.

HH
07-25-2006, 10:29
It is quiter now, but I can still hear gear noise. I am really lucky, for a change, it did not take out the whole unit. Planning to replace the gears, thinking 3.73, and maybe add a LS.