PDA

View Full Version : Rattles and suspension

onlychild
07-24-2006, 06:20
I've had this 2003 LB7 (Chevy 3500, 2wd, extended cab) for a couple of months now. I've noticed that around 1500 RPM there is a rattle what sounds like sheet metal occurring. After 1500 RPM the noise goes away. I've had my hands on just about every shield I can touch in an effort to find and correct this noise. Has anyone else run across this?
I also noticed that the front suspension is sitting right on the snubbers. Does someone have the GM spec for the front ride height? It appears that theis 2wd model is built just like a 4wd version that only lacks the transfer case and front half-shafts.

This truck is light years ahead of my old 94 3500 6.5 when it comes to towing my bracket racer and toy box. I'm glad I got it but, it's more than just a sheet metal and driveline change aren't they?

Thanks, onlychild

P.S. Any members living in the Lakeland, Florida area?

More Power
07-24-2006, 11:11
You might check the bracket that anchors the downpipe to the engine on the lower/rear/passenger side of the engine. This is before the first section of exhaust system. Some have reported this bracket being broken due to flex fatigue (exhaust system moving fore/aft).

I've read where the bump stops are an active part of the front suspension, and that contact with the lower A-arm is normal. However, these torsion bar front suspensions do settle over time, and a torsion bar adjustment might be necessary at some point. For those buying new trucks, it might be worth measuring the ride height to compare at a later date.

Jim