PDA

View Full Version : Timing? FSD? IP maybe?

93_Burrito
07-21-2006, 17:42
Okay... just picked up a 2000 Chevy K2500 6.5L TD with 49k miles.

When I first took the truck for a test drive, it seemed really easy to get this truck to spew black smoke. If I goosed the accelerator , I'd get a nice plume of death pouring out the tailpipe. The throttle is really touchy when you first get on it, but when you want more and push the pedal further, you don't necessarily go faster but you get a whole lot more black smoke.

Figuring this may be a wastegate issue, and because I was going to anyway, I installed a TurboMaster. No change, still lots of smoke.

Removed air filter and goosed pedal at idle to see if it's an air restriction, and there's no change.

Took my Kennedy lift pump off my Tahoe and put it on my K2500. Didn't change anything.

I've had 3 instances already where I'd hop in the truck and turn the key to fire it up, but it'll crank (fast) for about 10 seconds until it finally starts. The Service Engine Soon light comes on... usually idles okay, but once I put the truck in gear it'll get lopey. If I shut the truck down, wait 10 seconds, then fire it back up the truck will start really loud, then quiet down quick and it'll run fine after that. Normally this truck starts up super quick, so fast it amazes me.

I also noticed the cruise control acts kinda funny. Going downhill and trying to maintain 60 mph, the truck bucks like you're goosing the pedal.

Any thoughts?

Andy

Bnave95
07-22-2006, 02:37
Okay... just picked up a 2000 Chevy K2500 6.5L TD with 49k miles.

When I first took the truck for a test drive, it seemed really easy to get this truck to spew black smoke. If I goosed the accelerator , I'd get a nice plume of death pouring out the tailpipe. The throttle is really touchy when you first get on it, but when you want more and push the pedal further, you don't necessarily go faster but you get a whole lot more black smoke.

Figuring this may be a wastegate issue, and because I was going to anyway, I installed a TurboMaster. No change, still lots of smoke.

Removed air filter and goosed pedal at idle to see if it's an air restriction, and there's no change.

Took my Kennedy lift pump off my Tahoe and put it on my K2500. Didn't change anything.

I've had 3 instances already where I'd hop in the truck and turn the key to fire it up, but it'll crank (fast) for about 10 seconds until it finally starts. The Service Engine Soon light comes on... usually idles okay, but once I put the truck in gear it'll get lopey. If I shut the truck down, wait 10 seconds, then fire it back up the truck will start really loud, then quiet down quick and it'll run fine after that. Normally this truck starts up super quick, so fast it amazes me.

I also noticed the cruise control acts kinda funny. Going downhill and trying to maintain 60 mph, the truck bucks like you're goosing the pedal.

Any thoughts?

Andy
Do you have a FSD cooler on your Tahoe to try on the 2000? 49K may be all you'll get out of PMD.

93_Burrito
07-22-2006, 03:48
Unfortunately, no FSD cooler on the Tahoe for me to experiment with. No extra FSD's laying around either... for now.

farmboy1989
07-22-2006, 07:23
Cruise control acting up would be from vaccum pump wouldnt it? As far as black smoke that means your overfueling.Possible timing issue or lack of boost maybe? Have you checked to see if your turbo spins freely ? One mod to be sure to put on is 3 in. free flow exhaust. The big down pipe should help.

JohnC
07-22-2006, 10:39
Touchy throttle + cruise issues + black smoke + SES light = pump problems. Get the codes read!

(Hmmm, I don't suppose it has EGR, does it?)

Bnave95
07-23-2006, 04:39
Touchy throttle + cruise issues + black smoke + SES light = pump problems. Get the codes read!

(Hmmm, I don't suppose it has EGR, does it?)
But with 49K miles? Vaccum not a issue hear;) Can't ruel out pump but just would'nt be right:(

93_Burrito
07-23-2006, 14:01
No EGR, this is an 'F' engine (truck is 8600 GVWR). And the vacuum pump doesn't figure into the equation because I already installed a TurboMaster. No gauges on this truck yet, but I set the spring to 2.5" as per the included instructions from Heath.

After 2 cleans starts, the SES light goes out. This morning I did a little running around, and I had a chance to set the cruise control on I-81. The engine will sputter two or three times a second or two apart, then it'll run fine for a minute. Then it will sputter again... this was on a flat stretch of road. My experience the other day with the cruise control happened mostly going downhill.

Anyhow, guess I'll swing by AutoZone and find out what code(s) I got...

Bnave95
07-24-2006, 03:52
The Service Engine Soon light comes on... usually idles okay, but once I put the truck in gear it'll get lopey. If I shut the truck down, wait 10 seconds, then fire it back up the truck will start really loud, then quiet down quick and it'll run fine after that. Normally this truck starts up super quick, so fast it amazes me.

I remember once my truck doing this and the code was a crank sencer.Once replaced all was fine. Though with your truck this would be hard to think this being your issue? Getting code read will help!

JohnC
07-24-2006, 14:51
Have you tested the lift pump and checked the fuel filter yet?

93_Burrito
07-24-2006, 19:17
Lift pump works fine. Fuel filter was replaced about 300 miles ago.

Bnave95
07-25-2006, 03:23
Lift pump works fine. Fuel filter was replaced about 300 miles ago.
Will wait for code issue;)

93_Burrito
07-25-2006, 12:36
Got the codes... drum roll please. Thank you. And the numbers are:

P0251 Injection Pump Cam System

P0370 Timing Reference High

P0606 PCM Internal Communication Interrupted

Bnave95
07-26-2006, 04:10
I'm sure you have replaced the fuel filter,yes and your problem is still there. Before condiming the pump I would go with a cooler mounted FSD. These codes are stored but the ses light will not say on. Have you tried clearing codes and drive waiting to see if ses comes back?

93_Burrito
07-26-2006, 05:55
Alright, got to dig into a Helm manual...

For P0606 the manual asks if code P0370 was also set. If so, troubleshoot that (which my truck did). If not, replace PCM.

The troubleshooting sections for P0251 and P0370 are almost identical. At the beginning it states that both codes may be set if the pump runs out of fuel. That being said, I just discovered something last night. I went to fill my truck up, and when I loosened the cap I got a whooshing sound. The fuel tank popped when I took the cap completely off. After filling the truck up, I drove it for a few minutes and checked the cap again... more whoosh and tank pop. Drove some more and checked one more time, same result. So I've got air getting into the fuel system somewhere, and I think this is the crux of the problem. The sputtering is probably from air passing through the pump.

Anyhow, the manual continues with troubleshooting the optical sensor for both codes P0251 and P0370. Need to check the sensor's ground on the IP, and the ground at the PCM. And I may as well check all my other grounds.

Bnave95
07-27-2006, 01:32
Alright, got to dig into a Helm manual...

For P0606 the manual asks if code P0370 was also set. If so, troubleshoot that (which my truck did). If not, replace PCM.

The troubleshooting sections for P0251 and P0370 are almost identical. At the beginning it states that both codes may be set if the pump runs out of fuel. That being said, I just discovered something last night. I went to fill my truck up, and when I loosened the cap I got a whooshing sound. The fuel tank popped when I took the cap completely off. After filling the truck up, I drove it for a few minutes and checked the cap again... more whoosh and tank pop. Drove some more and checked one more time, same result. So I've got air getting into the fuel system somewhere, and I think this is the crux of the problem. The sputtering is probably from air passing through the pump.

Anyhow, the manual continues with troubleshooting the optical sensor for both codes P0251 and P0370. Need to check the sensor's ground on the IP, and the ground at the PCM. And I may as well check all my other grounds.
The WHOOSH on my tank was vaccum. The cap wanted to hang on. Other's have had psi wanting to blow cap off. I just drilled a small hole in the cap.
If you heard the tank pop, then your tank had vaccum. The fuel cap has a spring that should release this effect. Don't think air is the problem unless your fuel line is allowing air in the system when the tank is under vaccum.Have you tried running with the cap off? Have you opened the water drain vavle while the eng. is running? Do a psi check on this line and see what psi the lift pump is reading.Some where around 4-5 psi. Ground cleaning is aways a good ideal;)

MTTwister
07-27-2006, 09:28
I believe that you want the tank to be at ambient pressure - ie - it needs to breathe. The lift pump will struggle against a vacuumized fuel tank. Suggest that youu Recheck the cap - make sure it allows pressure to equalize.

93_Burrito
07-27-2006, 11:45
I drove around today with the fuel cap loose, and I didn't notice any change. Cruise control is still iffy. My truck set another code today:

P0380 Glow plug circuit performance

Found a broken wire hiding under the fuel filter housing, though I'm not sure what it goes to just yet. It's a brown wire coming from behind the filter, and there's a plug on its end. The broken wire that's plugged into it is orange... looks almost like a glow plug wire. Will have to investigate more. Gotta have a bad ground somewhere...

farmboy1989
07-27-2006, 15:18
Uncle has a 91 350 chevy efi gasser that bucks and jumps once in a while when the cruise is on and the service engine soon light is on and will even keep doing it after you take the cruise off. The fix? Well the fix is the truck is a 4 sp. manual and were cruisin 60 down the highway and he kicks it into neutral and shuts the truck off and then cranks it back up while we are still movin and puts it back in gear and we keep going. All symtoms are gone and the light goes off and wont come back on unless we use the cruise again. Its funny but its a farm truck, i mean honestly what do you expect.