PDA

View Full Version : 5 micron biodiesel filter

garysleeman
07-21-2006, 16:32
My standadyne model 80 filter needs monthly replacing with my biodiesel. Is there a inexpensive 5 micron filter I can put between my 30 micron primary and 2 micron secondary filter? I am currently paying $17 for the model 80 filters.
Thanks.

john8662
07-24-2006, 07:58
Hmm, the key here being inexpensive.

I was going to say give Raycor a ring, or a view on their site, but their filters ain't cheap. Might check with some of the diesel injection shops and see what they recommend.

I wonder how long you'll be changing filters with the biodiesel, I guess it's just cleaning out the crud in the tank? Might consider cleaning your tank.

Hopefully others will chime in here, not alot of us running biodiesel, it's in short supply around here.

Subzilla
07-24-2006, 08:15
I just started running BD in my Sub and will be running it in the Blazer with the next batch. I installed a $3 Fram filter in-line before the "good" filters to eliminate your problem. Just cut it into one of the rubber fuel lines somewhere; the Sub's is on the frame rail and the Blazer is on the firewall right before the model 80. I also keep an extra "cheap" filter in with the emergency stuff in the vehicles. So far, I've been lucky and haven't had to replace anything, yet. I can't imagine a 23 year old vehicle not having some crud accumilated somewhere. John was hitting on the right answer, once all the crud gets cleaned out, you should be good to go with no more filter changes.

john8662
07-24-2006, 12:35
Subzilla,

Good idea on the ~$3 fuel filter inline, These little filters are good at getting most of the big stuff that will plug the better filters.

Available at most parts stores, usually in the same section as the PCV valves for gassers are.

garysleeman
07-25-2006, 05:49
I've had the tank down and cleaned twice in the last year running bio. That being said it was never professionally cleaned (if that is possible). I also run a 30 micro FM100 filter before the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel lines with viton. I recently added a 5 micron filter on my storage tank. I'm thinking of adding a 10 micron Goldenrod filter that has a see thru bowl and drain. I can buy those filters for $5.

arveetek
07-25-2006, 06:23
I've been running home-brewed biodiesel for about a year now, and I haven't had to change a fuel filter yet??!? Maybe my tanks were really clean to start with. I'm running the stock 82-83 spin-on fuel filter setup. Perhaps that helps...having a primary and secondary filter instead of a single model 80 filter.....

Of course, I've only got the single filter on the Tahoe, but I changed it when I bought it last October, but haven't had to change it since. I've been running B100 in it for about 80% of the time I've owned it.

Casey

Subzilla
07-27-2006, 11:39
Casey,
Before I started running BD, I decided to check for water or grundge in the fuel tank and siphoned from the bottom via the tank drain valve. I got nothing but fresh looking fuel. I've been using Stanadyne additive on every tank full for like 10 years and I wonder if maybe that has helped to keep the bad stuff away?? Just wondering if you've used anything like this.