PDA

View Full Version : GM Diesels in Smaller Trucks?

TurboDiverArt
07-21-2006, 03:22
With Jeep introducing a diesel in the Liberty and plans for one in the Durango next year, how long do you think it will take GM to get off their butts and put one in a Tahoe or Suburban? Maybe a lower powered version in the 1500 series pickups?

Art.

john8662
07-21-2006, 06:29
Don't hold your breath, GM isn't going to change anything right now with their current financial situation.

TurboDiverArt
07-21-2006, 07:23
Don't hold your breath, GM isn't going to change anything right now with their current financial situation.
Is Chrysler much better off financially? I honestly don't know the financial health of Chrysler.

Yeah GM, don't change anything, magically things will get better... Personally I'd say it's the prime time to change what you are doing cause what you're doing now clearly isn't working.

Art.

diesel65
07-21-2006, 07:34
The Diesel Liberty has been discontinued, Just like the Excursion.

BrentN
07-21-2006, 08:04
Some info:
Jeep Liberty:
I have read in the trade magazines that the Liberty will not have a diesel for the next production year, due to the current engine not being able to meet emissions/run on the ultra low sulphur diesel that is mandated for 2007. I think their current diesel is Italian made. They are planning on reintroducing the diesel, I believe a Mercedes diesel, according to the article.

GM Small Diesel:
While at an auto trade show, I spoke with an engineer (Back in January) and he indicated that the general was working on a smaller diesel that would be slated for the Trailblazer/S10 pickup size product. He didnt have a production date but thought they were serious about it.

I would like to see both of those products with diesels.
I also picked up a hint that Ford was looking at a diesel for their small vehicle market. (Ford Focus size)

Me personally, I used to own a few Geo Metros years ago, that would get 48 mpg on regular unleaded at 70+mph. I would be thrilled to have a vehicle a little bigger than that with a 1 to 1.5 litre turbocharged diesel..heck, with a 6 speed tranny you could probably hit 60 to 65mpg.

But, the drawback is, we need more refineries to get that price of diesel back down to where it should be!

john8662
07-21-2006, 09:33
ULSD is either the killer of new production diesels, OR the change the manufactures have been waiting for to start introducing diesel power.

I'd like to think that the last statement is more true. Maybe it's because they don't want to invest in "old" technolgy using the old fuel because it will be costly if not impossible to retrofit an existing engine configuration to meet emissions requirement with the new fuel.

I think this is more true with very light duty diesels (small SUV's and compact trucks and cars) because of different emissions requirements. Where as the Dmax can be retrofitted with additional equipment due to it's class/rating..

I dunno, more of my rambling!

J

TurboDiverArt
07-21-2006, 10:01
I assume you mean for 2007? The only reason I knew about it was from a commercial I recently saw touting the fact that the Liberty was "available with a fuel efficient diesel engine". It

farmboy1989
07-21-2006, 10:23
Face it, the big city people dislike diesels all around. They think they poulute, are loud and noisy, and put out smoke. Diesel is not the fuel of choice in the city. But where i come from , a select few of us burn it black as coal!!!

JohnC
07-21-2006, 14:19

The Diesel Liberty was never available here in the people's republic of NY, but DC has been doing saturation advertising of the Diesel Liberty and "coming soon" the "world's cleanest Diesels".

Doesn't sound like discontinuation to me!

Anyone remember the 4 cylinder version of the IH 343? (Precursor to the Powerstroke). Maybe a "slant 4 - 3.3 Duramin?" 180 hp/325 ft-lbs sounds pretty hot to me.

TurboDiverArt
07-21-2006, 14:50
The Diesel Liberty was never available here in the people's republic of NY, but DC has been doing saturation advertising of the Diesel Liberty and "coming soon" the "world's cleanest Diesels".

Doesn't sound like discontinuation to me!

Anyone remember the 4 cylinder version of the IH 343? (Precursor to the Powerstroke). Maybe a "slant 4 - 3.3 Duramin?" 180 hp/325 ft-lbs sounds pretty hot to me.
Being in NJ I think I've seen the same commercials as you. I'm not in New York City but I'm only 25 miles outside and there are a lot of diesel pick-up trucks around here. Also seeing more and more TDI Jetta's as well.

Art.

JTodd
07-21-2006, 16:05
As Chrysler is owned by Daimler Benz, and they sell a significant amount of diesel autos in Europe, I would say that the Jeep Liberty will return with an oil burner very shortly, if in fact it is going away. Their whole car line has a 3.2 liter turbo-diesel offering making 200 hp and 370 lb ft of torque. They have a couple smaller engines as well. Most likely they are retooling for the ULSD.

diesel65
07-21-2006, 16:27
I rechecked and found I sort of misquoted about the Diesel Liberty.
Actually back on June 5, D/C announced that the 2007 Liberty will not be available with the diesel package.

hug
07-21-2006, 17:01
My wife has the 2006 jeep liberty diesel. If you guys ever drove the 3.7 liter gas 4 speed auto and then drove a 2.8 td 5 spd auto then yot would see a huge difference in the power and torque. My wife even decieded to buy the diesel because of the power difference. It was only a $700.00 option. It also has a towing capacity of 5000lbs.

Robyn
07-21-2006, 17:31
The Suburban was supposed to be available quite some time ago with the Duramax and GM has drug their feet.
There are a few hardy souls that have retrofitted the DM into Subs but thats all I have seen

Bnave95
07-22-2006, 02:52
But, the drawback is, we need more refineries to get that price of diesel back down to where it should be!

This trend is going towards the Bio fuels. Many plants are being constructed

farmboy1989
07-22-2006, 07:30
Bnave, you're right on the refineries. But everyone should open their eyes. They aint gonna build any more because that would bring the price down. This is the oil company thinking: they can put out less product, reduce production costs, and when there is a disaster somewhere or a power outage they can charge out the wazoo for the fuel. You wouldnt take a paycut in your paycheck every week now would you?

Bnave95
07-23-2006, 04:55
Bnave, you're right on the refineries. But everyone should open their eyes. They aint gonna build any more because that would bring the price down. This is the oil company thinking: they can put out less product, reduce production costs, and when there is a disaster somewhere or a power outage they can charge out the wazoo for the fuel. You wouldnt take a paycut in your paycheck every week now would you?
Yea it suck's! Pay cuts it happens:mad: In construction, I wish I could charge more than in past years yet folks are'nt spending much on home improvements. I deal more with middle class folks that just don't have the money like they once had. Not making any truck payments just weekly fuel payments:mad:
Vent,vent,vent,vent, I'm ok now:D Yea right:mad: