PDA

View Full Version : Turbo and A/c on 80's GM

83Blzr62
07-21-2006, 03:18
Benny Avant from Avant salvage told me that jhe saw people keeping factrory A/C with a gm 6.5 turbo in older trucks by making a spacer that goes between the turbo and manifold. The spacer tilts the turbo so there is clearance. Has anyone seen this or does anyone have pictures?

JeepSJ
07-21-2006, 11:29
I'd have to see some pics of that to believe it. There really isn't any place to run the exhaust. Seems that the easier, though more expensive route, would be to get an exhaust manifold from Banks. You could use their crossover as well.

john8662
07-22-2006, 00:36
No room to fit the GM-X series turbo on a Banks manifold, solely due to the 90 degree turn the elbow on the turbo makes...

Did Benny have the adapter?

83Blzr62
07-22-2006, 02:53
No. He said he saw pwoplw do it at the diesel rondevouz(Obivously I cant spell it) I do not currently have ac so I can give it a try and see how it might work. I will try to figure out the easiest way. The banks stuff is too expensive and the gm turbo setup looks much better so that is why I got it. I was not thinking much about ac until Benny mentioned that bracket/adapter idea.

198662T
07-25-2006, 14:15
This is very doable. I just completed my 1986 crew cab . Has a 1982 6.2 and turbo set up from a 1994 6.5 . I am running factory a/c. Someone tell me how to get pictures in this thing and I will send what you want along. Let me know.

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2006, 14:31
This is very doable. I just completed my 1986 crew cab . Has a 1982 6.2 and turbo set up from a 1994 6.5 . I am running factory a/c. Someone tell me how to get pictures in this thing and I will send what you want along. Let me know.

The easy solution for pictures...
You already have an image account here on TDP (all subscribers do). Click the "Photo Album" link near the top of the page and upload your pictures into your account.

You can then either link those photos into a thread, or reference the photo album for others to go look. If you have trouble uploading photos, PM or email me.

odee
07-25-2006, 18:15
I've got the stock 6.5 turbo parts on my engine in a 80 model chevy 4 door dually. I spliced a s10 evap housing to the fan side of my stock parts to make the ac work. I just got back to va from a trip to michigan ran the ac without any ill affect from the turbo heat. I've seen pics floating around on the net of it done. I just don't have any of my setup to show.

83Blzr62
07-31-2006, 11:28
Did you need a new evaporator or did you use all the rest of the stuff stock besides that half of the housing? Do you know what year?

odee
07-31-2006, 19:19
I used the evap core from the truck orginally. The evap housing came from the s10 and spliced to the fan blower section from my truck. the s10 stuff I used was from a early 80s that had the fiberglass on both halves. It has worked out very good so far for me. I found a different drier to turn the hoses around to work and cut down a set of hoses off of a 4.3 s10. Wish I was more computer worthy to post up some pictures.

TB1
07-31-2006, 20:10
If your truck was stock non A/C the firewall is different from the A/C version I found this out when I did my swap, mine was A/C but it did not work so I thought just swap the fan housing from the non A/C truck well not so easy but if you really wanted to do it find a donor truck cut out the passenger side firewall and take all the inside controls and ducting and have at it or the easier option no A/C or aftermarket. But DO install the turbo set up well worth the effort not all that hard to do and it makes the truck fun to drive again. On a side note I picked up over a 100 km per 65 liter fill up (60 miles per 20 gallons approx) just by doing the swap no sh!t I didn't believe it either but it is constant 20 miles per gallon driving mainly city driving. There are some pictures of my set up in the photo album section and I have more and some part numbers for the down pipe I made that runs inside the frame out of the way.

Grimjaw
08-12-2006, 11:45
I have a 86 M1028 that I would like to add A/C and a turbo to. The Banks setup sounds the 'easiest' but expensive. I had been thinking scalp a 6.5L for the turbo, heads and serpentine setup. I just need to hammer out a plan for the A/C. The wife has mandated there be A/C. I would be grateful for any experiences and pictures.

Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
08-12-2006, 11:58
Although it may not apply in every case, some of you guys are talking to the wrong end of the horse.

Has anyone thought of using a HMMWV or van turbo setup? The turbo is at the back of the engine valley. If you have room under the hood, it sure would cure a lot of headaches. Even moving/eliminating the vacuum pump is a lot easier than modifying the A/C system.

84 Convert
08-13-2006, 12:51
However, if I'm not mistaken the exhaust routing goes where my truck has just about enough room for a dime between engine and cab. At least from the pics I saw. Manifolds exit directly back then curve up behind the heads and then to the turbo in the valley. I'm guessing there is more room available in this area when there is a "dog house". I think creativity is necessary for either set-up in the old "square body" trucks.

Somebody let me know if I'm wrong...Cuz this would be a nice way to do it.

Gregg

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2006, 13:17
I didn't say it would be a drop- in and bolt-on. You will likely have some engineering to do, but once it's done, outa' sight, outa' mind. It's only pipe, afterall. Most muffler shops can handle any pipe bending needed, and for not too much $$. Another option would be prebent elbows for welding or clamping, or flex tubing.

HammerWerf
08-14-2006, 07:47
Folks,

Another A/C option would be to purchase and install a pre engineered kit.

Vintage Air out of Texas has a completely Under dash kit that eliminates the Evaporator housing in the Engine Compartment.

http://www.vintageair.com/

click on catalog , then go to page 48. Sure-fit system for the 78-86 Chevy/GMC

Print out the installation instruction, and see if this might work.

I'm planning this A/C unit for my 83 CC, but the only hold up right now is that a Compressor mount will have to be designed and fab'd to get one in there. There are no aftermarket brackets for our engines. Any Collaborators?

This idea also alows the maximum flexibility for the Turbo Option.

HammerWerf

Grimjaw
08-14-2006, 10:07
Along this same line, are the stock A/C controls the same between diesels and gasers? My concern is I read that some A/C controls use vacuum from the engine to open/closer the vents. I just want to make sure that commanly available Gaser parts will work in the CUCV.

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2006, 10:14
IIRC, 1988.5 for pickups, and ~1991 for Sub's/Tahoes started the electrical HVAC controls. Some non A/C models (like in the vans, HD's and WT's) still had mechanical push/pull cables, but I'm not sure when they switched. They were the same for Diesel/gas.

Grimjaw
08-14-2006, 10:17
IIRC, 1988.5 for pickups, and ~1991 for Sub's/Tahoes started the electrical HVAC controls. Some non A/C models (like in the vans, HD's and WT's) still had mechanical push/pull cables, but I'm not sure when they switched. They were the same for Diesel/gas.

My M1028 CUCV is a 1986.

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2006, 10:21
Yours will have either the vacuum or push/pull. Does your truck have a vacuum pump?

Grimjaw
08-14-2006, 10:24
Yours will have either the vacuum or push/pull. Does your truck have a vacuum pump?

Hydro brakes and No A/C....I do not think there is a vacuum pump, but I have not checked.

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2006, 10:39
All GM Diesels have hydro brakes, with or without a vacuum pump. The vacuum pumps are only necessary for HVAC, EGR, TH350/400 modulators, and/or turbo wastegate (6.5's). You may have a vacuum pump, but it would only be necessary for HVAC (if yours is vacuum) and the tranny modulator. Even with the TH400, there is a way to eliminate the pump.

DLang
08-14-2006, 16:50
the CUCV's don't have a vaccum pump on them.

I've just purchased a M1009 (blazer) and will eventually add AC to it, Ideally I'd like to retain the two alternators while adding AC and an onboard air compressor (and adding a turbo would be nice). space will definantly be tight for this arrangement :D

IIRC the M1028 is the ambulance, it already has a AC compressor on it, just hooked to the box in the rear rather then to something for the cab, give vintage air a call, they may be able to arange to T the lines for the rear AC to run their in-dash AC for the cab

at that point your only headache is deciding how to route the cool air in the cab (since 3 of the 4 AC vent locations are used for other things :o

David Lang

Grimjaw
08-14-2006, 17:46
IIRC the M1028 is the ambulance, it already has a AC compressor on it, just hooked to the box in the rear rather then to something for the cab, give vintage air a call, they may be able to arange to T the lines for the rear AC to run their in-dash AC for the cab

at that point your only headache is deciding how to route the cool air in the cab (since 3 of the 4 AC vent locations are used for other things :o

David Lang

M1028 is a Shelther Carrier, the M1010 is the Ambulance with A/C. I am leaning toward doing a 12 voth converison and a single 140 amp alt. I just got a PowerMaster 140 for my K5 Blazer and like it. This will give me a little more room to work with.

This all means to go stock A/C I will need Cable controls or aftermarket A/C.

Guipo
08-15-2006, 11:44
my 85 m1009 CUCV certainly did have a vaccum pump on it. Its in the valley in the very rear.

Now the 93 6.5 TD I have in it now dosent. :)

More Power
08-15-2006, 13:07
This is the truck that attended both the 2001 & 2006 Rendezvous, which shows how a factory 6.5 turbo-side exhaust manifold was modified to work with the truck's air conditioning system. This also shows that ceramic coating works very well....

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/80struck65turbo.jpg

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/80struck65turbo3.jpg

This following photo was also shot at this year's Rendezvous... :)

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/80struck65turbo2.jpg

Guipo
08-15-2006, 13:10
Holy Malarcy! Look at that thing. It has a modified upper intake, intercooler, and a modified Exaust. Wowzers! That musta cost some coin!

Guipo

DmaxMaverick
08-15-2006, 13:37
Wow! Or in other words, WOW!

He should sell tickets just to open the hood.