PDA

View Full Version : 98 6.5 td fan clutch

tom lacey towing 1
07-20-2006, 15:19
yes summer here in upstate ny is here and yes my 98 6.5 td is getting hot

have a question what is the gm part number for a fan clutch i dont think mine is working too well with ac on i get about 210 little too hot for me

would puting in 180 stats help ???

whare should it run

dont realy want to blow this motor

thanks all in advance

ronniejoe
07-20-2006, 17:02
Get the Kennedy Diesel clutch. It is specially calibrated (and the only one that is) to engage 15 degrees sooner the stock. It is well worth every penny you will pay.

Warren96
07-20-2006, 18:05
Have you done the summer maintanance on the trash that collects between the radiators and coolers?That dosen't cost anything!

hug
07-20-2006, 18:15
I have the hayden fan clutch w/ duramax fan blade and it does fine for me. By the way 210 is not very hot that is about the normal in summer heat w/ ac. my fan engages earlier than the factory. Seems to do me fine but I am not loaded as much as some as these guys are. If you want a well tested product call kennedy diesel( everthing that I have ever purchased from him has been top notch). Also use 195 degree thermostats 1 high flow 1 regular. You can get to much water flow and it does not give the radiator a chance to its job. Make sure all the junk between the condensor and the radiator is clean this is a big deal on these trucks gas and diesel.

Kennedy
07-20-2006, 18:18
The Hayden clutch is GM spec stock unit...

Bnave95
07-21-2006, 01:32
I have the hayden fan clutch w/ duramax fan blade and it does fine for me. By the way 210 is not very hot that is about the normal in summer heat w/ ac. my fan engages earlier than the factory. Seems to do me fine but I am not loaded as much as some as these guys are. If you want a well tested product call kennedy diesel( everthing that I have ever purchased from him has been top notch). Also use 195 degree thermostats 1 high flow 1 regular. You can get to much water flow and it does not give the radiator a chance to its job. Make sure all the junk between the condensor and the radiator is clean this is a big deal on these trucks gas and diesel.
When GM went with the duel therm. stats,high flow water pump. The ideal was to cycle more water in the block helping the #8 cyl. There is about 9% more flow thru the rad.then the early model single stats.
Every other year I'll pull the rad. then clean the inside of the tank with CLR. The out side of the tank needs to be clean of oils that coat the fins. With the CLR wash the fins will be back to a nice alum. finish and you will also see a lot of black crud coming off. The CLR does a great job cleaning the inside of the tank.

turbovair
07-25-2006, 15:37
Do you mean the coolant recovery tank or the radiator itself? Or both?