PDA

View Full Version : Remote Bypass Filter Location

Stratosurfer
07-19-2006, 16:32
All,
I am installing an Amsoil Bypass filter on my 98 Suburban and 97 Tahoes and on neither one can I find a convenient place to mount the unit. I have searched and only find the cross-member -behind- the transfer case of any liking. This would have the unit bolted on that cross member between the belly pan of the truck and the crossmember.
I ran a search on this in the Page and found nothing.
Anyone know of a better place?
Thanks

Robyn
07-19-2006, 19:39
There is a handy little spot under the front splash pan.
The pan folds down hinged on two shoulder bolts to gain access to the front lower section of the engine and may prove a nice secure place to mount your filter.
Robyn

Stratosurfer
07-20-2006, 04:16
Robyn,
Thanks again, I'll climb down there this AM and have a look. I'm certain I remember this spot from looking for a leak on the steering box pressure line. This Amsoil unit is -big-, been a real challenge finding a place for it.

LanduytG
07-20-2006, 04:48
You can mount it right on the frame by the stock location but just a bit back of it. You will need to make your own bracket or we have them that will get you out past the torsion bar. Its also oredrilled to fit the Amsoil bypass and they are made out of 9ga material. But we are out of them for now and it will be another 2 or 3 weeks before we have more.

Greg

DA BIG ONE
07-20-2006, 13:22
On my 99 burb I mounted the bypass setup right to the floor at the drivers foot area. The floor there is double layered w/heat shield so, you need some long, some short bolts to mount it & use locktite. After drilling the mounting holes I used self etching primer to seal the bare metal, then silicone sealer to finish the job.

The hoses are dangeriously close to the exhaust downpipe, so fire sleeves are a must. Fire sleeves must be sealed from the elements at ends with metal tie & high temp silicone. My fire sleeves prevented exhaust burn through of oil lines when my x-over pipe was torn completely from engine on an offroad stint.

Hubert
07-31-2006, 13:21
Mount it as close as possible. I mounted mine on 2nd crossmember and the hoses are too long IMHO. I've learned since oil flow through long hoses reduces some flowrate especially at cold startup.

HH
07-31-2006, 13:43
I mounted mine on the left inner fenderwell in the engine compartment.

ToddMeister
08-01-2006, 04:17
I mounted my 95 GMC's bypass filter on the side of the left (drivers side) battery tray.

CareyWeber
08-01-2006, 12:28
I mounted my 95 GMC's bypass filter on the side of the left (drivers side) battery tray.

So did I

Carey