PDA

View Full Version : high performance injectors.

Jim P
11-25-2003, 15:05
I bought a set of high performance injectors for 375.00. They are Bosch 974 and I took one apart to check the nozzle number and it is 311. My original nozzles were 304. I also had the one that I took apart and another one checked for pop pressure. They both popped at 2,200 psi. Are these what people refer to as high pop high flow injectors?

I have only had time to install 4 of them but it already seems to have more power. The exhaust also is much louder when you really get on it. They claim that they will produce 35 more hp.

walkerv8
11-25-2003, 20:49
That`s the same what I found out --- and I have the same question to the folks out there ...

Michael,

1997 K1500 P/U
L56/L65
exhaust

Barry Nave
11-26-2003, 01:42
The High Flow injectors have a higher Bar # then standerd injectors. High Flow's only inject as much as the comp. say it need,s and what the high flow,s do is atomize the fuel so much better that you get more power from a better burn. :cool:

Kennedy
11-26-2003, 06:23
Pop pressures are set when built. I pop everything high. They just seem to run better...

ktobin
11-26-2003, 07:20
Where can i purchase the injectors and do you need a special socket. How hard is it to change them on turbo side? i'm really green and little money so i have to do change myself.

GOT DSL
11-26-2003, 09:36
Would setting the POP off pressure higher on standard injectors have some of the same effect as the high POP injectors?

cruzer
11-26-2003, 10:11
Bnave95 I think has it right. Kennedy's is high
pop and high Bar#. I think Bar is atomization.

walkerv8
11-26-2003, 11:32
Kennedy, are you going higher than 2400 psi with the pop pressure ?

Michael

Jim P
11-27-2003, 17:01
I bought these injectors from Wickliff Diesel. I used a 32mm deep well socket that I bought at autozone. The injectors on the passenger side are pretty difficult to get to but if you remove the heat shield on the turbo and the heat shield under the turbo it can be done without removing the turbo. I know that kennedy has an installation kit that includes new return lines that don't require using the little clamps. I did not buy this kit but it would make it much easier to install the return lines. Getting those little clamps on is a real pain in the a$$.

Does anyone know what the stock pop pressure is? My book says not to reuse a used one if the pressure is less than 1700 psi but it doesn't say what a new one should be. I just am not sure if the ones that I bought are true high pop injectors.

LanduytG
11-27-2003, 17:39
Stock is about 140 bar or 2050 psi. I set mu=ine up to 150 or 2200 psi. Crisp starts smotther running.

Greg

Jim P
11-27-2003, 17:47
Thanks for the reply Greg. It does sound like I got true high pop injectors. Does the tip number 311 sound right?

While I got you here I have another question for you.

I installed a set of your oil cooler lines but one is leaking where it threads into the oil cooler. Do you know what I could have done wrong or have any suggestion on how to make it quit leaking. I ttried tightening but it is already tight.

Jim P
11-28-2003, 16:47
Well I finally got my other 4 injectors installed and now it definitely runs better. I thought it ran pretty good before but now it really roasts off the tires :D I hooked up an otc scanner and even with the temps here just above freezing, I was getting manifold air temps of 170 degrees. Now if I had a chip for this thing, I bet I could really melt some pistons. :D In the hot summer these temps must really skyrocket.

Does anyone know how hot these intake temps get before the computer cuts back on fuel. I think an intercooler or water injection would really help these engines.

Jim P
11-28-2003, 16:57
I mentioned in an earlier post that these injectors take a 32mm socket. That was incorrect, they take a 30mm deep well socket.

Also to Greg,

I fixed the leaking oil line. It was not actually leaking where it screws into the cooler. It was leaking right where the bent pipe connects to the hex that is used to screw the fitting into the long hex nut. I just unscrewed the fitting from the hose and soldered it where it was leaking. Then I screwed it back into the hose and then screwed the other end into the cooler. Now it seems fine. The fitting must have had a defect.

Randee of the Redwoods
11-28-2003, 17:06
Interesting. Wickliff's "high performance" injectors are only $375 whereas all the other sets I've seen run $500. What's the deal?
It's looking more and more like the whacka-whacka problem with the Ebay truck may only be a bad injector or 2. I've been pricing replacements and if these really are better performing that stock(as opposed to true flow matched sets) than they'll definately be #1 on my list of possible replacements.

patrick m.
11-29-2003, 18:16
Jim P, the intercooler is a major player in power. The interstate is where you will see the difference, or anywhere you can sustain "foot on floor" mode of operation.
Now i guess i need to get me some of them injectors, and port and polish the entire air path :D :D (in and out),,,,,,,with lots of ceramic coatings.....oh, maybe after Christmas :D

TurboDiverArt
11-29-2003, 21:03
Do the new injectors improve fuel economy? I'd imagine that with better atomization you'd get a more complete burn and maybe better fuel economy. Better performance, better starting and running and better economy, could be the hold grail, if true that is.

triggerman
11-29-2003, 22:38
Hmmmm,
sounds like a description of a 6.5 with direct inject heads...

If only the L20 was'nt just an RnD fable.......

Jim P
11-30-2003, 06:04
As to the improved fuel economy, I only use a tank every 4 weeks so it will be awhile before I will check the milage. Also with the increase in power, I have to admit that I have been kind of racing it around.

I took the truck yasterday to get a new windshield put in. The roads were wet and I had to be real careful how much throttle I would give it in 3rd gear or it would just light up the tires.

kowsoc
11-30-2003, 06:07
With higher opening pressures the fuel will be atomized to a finer mist exposing more hot compressed air to the fuel providing easier ignition and quicker burn....so the fuel is more completely spent...in theory....IMHO. :D

I would think this should increase fuel economy but have no experience to back this up. One thing that bothers me about higher POP is the increased strain on the already flakey Stanadyne pump...but if the engine performs better for the life of the pump it is probably a good trade-off.

Randee of the Redwoods
11-30-2003, 07:04
I don't necessarily think it will affect economy. The same amount of fuel is still being squirted into the motor, just in a finer mist. If it enters as a finer mist, the result is a cleaner burn and better combustion efficiency PER THE SAME AMOUNT OF FUEL. No, you won't be using less fuel, but you will get more usable power using the same amount of fuel as with the non hipo injectors. Just my opinion.

triggerman
11-30-2003, 18:00
A 200psi increase in pop pressure probably has little if eny efect on atomization of the fuel. Consider a D Max Hi pressure rail line is pumped up to about 20,000 psi and the 04 VW TDI's injectors are poped at 30,000 psi. Only when the 2,000 psi injectors are poped at MANY,MANY thousands of psi higher, has there been a actual mpg gain. VW is the industry leader with their new NON rail hi pressure injection pump. All the big 3 went to the 20,000 psi rail systems that uses a electric selinoid injector $$$ to pop the fuel. The VW system still uses the IP for cylinder to cylinder fuel pressure supply. My bet is on the VW system to be the most cost efective over the long hall.

Animal
11-30-2003, 23:10
Originally posted by Jim P:
I bought these injectors from Wickliff Diesel.Is there a web site for these or e-mail address.

Thanks

grape
12-01-2003, 08:17
whats the 10 digit part number on the nozzles? It should have some letters.

britannic
12-01-2003, 08:34
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods:
I don't necessarily think it will affect economy. The same amount of fuel is still being squirted into the motor, just in a finer mist. If it enters as a finer mist, the result is a cleaner burn and better combustion efficiency PER THE SAME AMOUNT OF FUEL. No, you won't be using less fuel, but you will get more usable power using the same amount of fuel as with the non hipo injectors. Just my opinion. If the fuel is more effectively atomized and has more surface area for oxidation, then the burn will be fiercer and quicker give more power, thsu less fuel will be used than with lower pop pressures. YMMV, but I obtained about 1-2mpg more, by simply installing 6.5LTD injectors in my 6.2L.

britannic
12-01-2003, 08:38
Originally posted by triggerman:
A 200psi increase in pop pressure probably has little if eny efect on atomization of the fuel. Consider a D Max Hi pressure rail line is pumped up to about 20,000 psi and the 04 VW TDI's injectors are poped at 30,000 psi. Only when the 2,000 psi injectors are poped at MANY,MANY thousands of psi higher, has there been a actual mpg gain. VW is the industry leader with their new NON rail hi pressure injection pump. All the big 3 went to the 20,000 psi rail systems that uses a electric selinoid injector $$$ to pop the fuel. The VW system still uses the IP for cylinder to cylinder fuel pressure supply. My bet is on the VW system to be the most cost efective over the long hall. Apart from the more efficient fuel burn due to better atomization, higher pressure permits very quick injection times for the same amount of fuel, which in turn allows for higher rpms/power as the injection window is increased.

This is just one reason, why the newer diesel engine designs are producing higher HP figures and have more usuable torque/power curves over the rpm range.

Some other reasons are being able to efficiently direct inject under higher combustion pressures and permit finer computer control to decrease engine noise and NOx emmissions.

TurboDiverArt
12-01-2003, 14:16
Originally posted by Animal:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim P:
I bought these injectors from Wickliff Diesel.Is there a web site for these or e-mail address.

Thanks </font>[/QUOTE]http://dieselhelp.com/

Go to the GMC/Chevy Section and then Injectors, The performance injectors are listed at the bottom.

TurboDiverArt
12-01-2003, 14:21
Originally posted by triggerman:
A 200psi increase in pop pressure probably has little if eny efect on atomization of the fuel. Consider a D Max Hi pressure rail line is pumped up to about 20,000 psi and the 04 VW TDI's injectors are poped at 30,000 psi. Only when the 2,000 psi injectors are poped at MANY,MANY thousands of psi higher, has there been a actual mpg gain. VW is the industry leader with their new NON rail hi pressure injection pump. All the big 3 went to the 20,000 psi rail systems that uses a electric selinoid injector $$$ to pop the fuel. The VW system still uses the IP for cylinder to cylinder fuel pressure supply. My bet is on the VW system to be the most cost efective over the long hall. FWIW, I think the injectors are supposed to have a better atomizing tip. Maybe that's where the better atomizing is coming from, not the increase in pop pressure. The pop pressure might only be making the engine run better, not giving it better performance. Would be interesting to get to the bottom of which component of the injectors (tip or pop) is giving which benefit

Randee of the Redwoods
12-01-2003, 14:44
Eh, so I was wrong. Nothing new. Besides, I was trying to compare gasser techniques to diesels again(bad dog!).

Jim P
12-01-2003, 14:52
Grape,

Sorry to say that I did not get the whole 10 digit number on these nozzles while I had one apart.

Walkerv8 had a post a few weeks back that stated that his high pop injectors had a DN 0 SD 311 nozzle. I am not sure about my first 7 digits but I do know that mine had the number 311 so I am assuming that mine are the same.

Jim P
12-01-2003, 15:05
Whoops,I just realized that this number does not have ten digits. Anyhow my last three digits are 311. (really I can count to ten)

grape
12-01-2003, 15:52
thanks I've just got a guy that's doing some checking for me.

david
12-02-2003, 21:41
Hi Guys,
Do you have to take the inj. apart to find the nossel number????
David :rolleyes:

Jim P
12-03-2003, 13:56
Yes, unfortunately you do.