PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break in with Synthetic oil?

83Blzr62
07-19-2006, 11:07
I have heard that it is bad and takes longer to break in an engine with synthetic oil and that I should use normla oil for the first 1000 miles and then use synthetic. Is there any truth to this?

john8662
07-19-2006, 13:42
Search the 6.5 forum for some reading on this topic, I think it's been discussed.

Personally, I do believe it's best to break in on a regular oil other than synthetic, I'd go longer than 1k miles too.

J

Adam King
07-19-2006, 13:57
Synthetic oil is not advised for engine break in or for high mileage engines-"high" being a relative term when it comes to diesels. The composition of a synthetic oil is so 'slippery' as compared to a conventional motor oil that you won't get the proper protection while your engine parts are setting into their seats. The same holds true for high mileage engines where you have a similar scenario in regards to the gap between moving parts due to normal operating wear.

-AFK

83Blzr62
07-20-2006, 02:49
I did a search and found no real information related to synthetic versus dino oil during break in. How long would you go before the switch to synthetic?

Diesel Blue
07-20-2006, 06:05
When breaking-in a new engine, parts (including rings, bearings, etc.) need to wear a little and seat themselves ... that's why it's called "breaking-in." That is also why when breaking-in a new engine, manufacturer's recommend the first oil change to be generally within 500 or 1000 miles, so to flush-out small particles of metal that accumulate during break-in.

The synthetic oil manufacturer's website should provide more information on whether or not to use their oil during break-in. If not, I suggest sending an email to their Tech Support Group.

In my opinion, good quality regular diesel engine oil is advised during break-in.

Alex