PDA

View Full Version : ok rookie question here

daveb67
07-19-2006, 09:01
hi all,
i just picked up a 83 gmc k2500 w/6.2, under any kind of load, even just pulling out i have a issue of alot of white/grayish smoke coming out to the point that people think i am fummingating for some sort of insict.
When i stand behind it the fumes are bad enough to burn you eyes.
I have noticed the right bank tail pipe seems to be worse then the left.
The truck has been sitting for 6 or so months so i guess the fuel that was in the might be stale, i changed the spin on fuel filter, managed to keep the prime,and it still blows smoke. I have filled it with new fuel and tried some 911 in it and still no luck.
Any clues to what might be the trouble.
thanks

ZZ
07-19-2006, 11:19
Sounds like a timing issue...

daveb67
07-19-2006, 12:02
how about an issue with a injecter? Or am i barking up the wrong tree?

ZZ
07-19-2006, 12:06
I would be more inclined to say the pump instead of just one injector since you say both banks are loading up.

daveb67
07-19-2006, 12:10
how would i go about testing the pump?

ZZ
07-19-2006, 12:16
That's one that the "pros" will have to help you with. I think I'd make sure the timing is right before I worried about the pump.

Maybe some of the others will go further with you...

john8662
07-19-2006, 13:52
Does sound like a timing issue, try loosening up the three bolts that hold the injection pump (center front intake manifold) to the front timing cover. Then locate the timing mark on the timing cover and the injection pump flange. It will be a scribe mark. Move the scribe mark on the pump to where it's on the right hand side of the mark on the front cover (towards the driver's side). Tighten all three bolts, then start engine, do not attempt to move this with the engine running!!!

See if the smoke goes away.

There is also one more filter to change, it's located on the rear of the intake manifold, underneath the air cleaner. It's called the "secondary" fuel filter. Removal involves removing the lines to the filter housing, then then two 15mm bolts.

Don't think it's injectors either.

Are you consuming coolant or seeing bubbles in the coolant overflow container?

J

daveb67
07-19-2006, 14:55
thanks for the advise j, i'll give it a shot and let ya know how it goes

Diesel Blue
07-19-2006, 18:48
... I have noticed the right bank tail pipe seems to be worse then the left...

Are you getting about the same amount of exhaust flow (pressure) from each tail pipe?

The 1989 Suburban I just purchased had a problem with the EPR (Exhaust Pressure Regulator) Valve located within the left (drivers-side) exhaust manifold. The valve always stayed in the "closed" position, regardless of engine temperature; thereby, resticting the exhaust flow from the left (drivers-side) bank of the engine. I believe the temperature sensor that controls the valve is bad, and I am still diagnosing it. For now, I temporarily disconnected the vacuum hose that opens/closes the valve and plugged the vacuum source; thereby allowing the valve to remain in the "open" position so that the exhaust from the left-bank is not restricted. My engine runs a lot better.

If your EPR Valve is always closed, this may explain why the right exhaust is worse than the left.

Besides this, dirty injectors can cause smoke, as well as fuel contaminated with water. Definetely add "diesel" fuel injector cleaner to you fuel. Also check to see if there is water in your fuel by draining fuel from your water separator.

Alex

daveb67
07-20-2006, 04:22
i changed both fuel filters again last night, does not seem to smoke as bad, sitting at idle hardly any, rev up and there it is.
I check the timing marks and there right on the money.

john8662
07-20-2006, 07:13
Go ahead and advance the timing a bit, take and loosen the pump as mentioned above and rotate the pump so that the line is on the right side of the mark on the timing cover. Move it two line width's where this is about a line's width in between your mark and the cover's mark. Tighten everything back up and see what it does.

daveb67
07-20-2006, 08:28
thanks, i'll give it a try, i just hoping its not rings:mad:

daveb67
08-09-2006, 05:51
looked under it last night and noticed that the valve on the drivers side exhaust manifold has the vacume line going to it unhooked, why would someone do this, is it covering a problum?