PDA

View Full Version : No Muffler

Ranger354
07-18-2006, 14:28
Anyone taken the muffler off the DMax and just put in a straight pipe. Wonder how loud it would be and if it would give the motor any performance issues.

David Proske
07-19-2006, 23:31
I had that on my 03. It seemed loud at 1st but I got used to it. I liked it. Though if you live in a "high falutent" neighborhood people will turn around and watch you drive down the street.

Ranger354
07-23-2006, 15:22
Did you have any problems with the Turbo? Or loose/gain power?

David Proske
07-24-2006, 09:28
No issues with the turbo or anything else with taking the muffler off. Turbo did spool up a little quicker. Maybe a little power increase but hard to tell.

carco
08-01-2006, 19:38
Lost the cat and have a Magnaflow straight through muffler on an 04 LLY. Sound almost normal w/o load. With 38' GN trailer on hill along guardrail a little louder, roll rt rear window down and WOW definetly more noise! Kinda fun w/ windows down. Windows up just a little louder on 500mi plus trip @ 22000#gvw. bob........ oh yes better pulling mileage of about 1 mpg.

O&A party rock
08-28-2006, 17:43
I am finally picking up my 2500HD LBZ on wednesday and am wondering how it would sound with the cat left in and the muffler removed. One aftermarket shop said it is a cheap way out and sounds better than some aftermarket systems. I want it to be quiet/throaty at idle and nice and throaty under heavy load. I don't need it to sound like my CAT Kenworth boom truck with 7" straight stacks, but just a little something to let you know its there.

Also, would the muffler removal set off any codes with the cat left in place?

Thanks
Jesse

Ranger354
08-28-2006, 17:55
Jesse,

Sounds like you want the same thing I want my truck to sound like. I just haven't done it yet. Let me know how it turns out.

Ranger

Mark Rinker
08-28-2006, 18:03
I tried it on my '01. Didn't see any measureable gain in power or fuel mileage, it was just noisier and seems like maybe more turbo lag on inital (unloaded) acceleration. Lag not noticable when towing, but the drone is and I like my CDs...

Will eventually install a true performance 4" system with a decent resonator.

My advice? Don't do it.

mark45678
09-04-2006, 07:27
I tried it on my '01. Didn't see any measureable gain in power or fuel mileage, it was just noisier and seems like maybe more turbo lag on inital (unloaded) acceleration. Lag not noticable when towing, but the drone is and I like my CDs...

Will eventually install a true performance 4" system with a decent resonator.

My advice? Don't do it.

I dont advise doing a truck without a cat , it would be VERY noisy!

2004 and newer trucks have a cat , your 2001 did not. I feel fairly safe in saying you should not find a truck with a cat and a muffler delete being too loud. I dont think it will code also , I have a 2006 lbz with a strait threw 4" exhaust it doesnt code. I think the cat produces enough back pressure to keep the EGR happy .

Get er done!

I am only guessing but a shop shouldnt charge much to cut out a muffler and strait pipe it..... Maybe $100.00 tops , good aftermarket systems start at 400.00 (parts only)

O&A party rock
09-05-2006, 18:07
Good input everyone. I think I'll give it a shot with the back-up plan of adding a small resonator down the road if needed.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turned out.

Jesse

spongebob
08-29-2020, 08:04
Good input everyone. I think I'll give it a shot with the back-up plan of adding a small resonator down the road if needed.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turned out.

Jesse

And?....

a5150nut
08-29-2020, 17:48
And?....

Spongebob dont hold your breath. That post is from 2006