PDA

View Full Version : which book should I buy

davidstereo
07-18-2006, 10:53
I want to buy the book that will help me because I am a new diesel owner. Which book should I buy. I need to know things like how long to let the glow plug light stay on, or what the glow plugs actually do compared to a spark plug, and I need to also know how to use the engine heater, things like that. Please let me know which book I should buy. I can't afford all of the books but really need to know some basic diesel info. I could probably afford two but would just like to buy one. Anyone that has bought them could tell me which one has the info that I need. Thanks, David

DmaxMaverick
07-18-2006, 12:11
You are already at the best book you'll find (I'm referring to TheDieselPage). I don't think there is a book that will help with your questions, other than very general principals, which usually raises more questions than answers.

The Diesel Page has several books in print and online articles (find them HERE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm)) that address your concerns. Many of the Member's content articles require a membership subscription, but IMO, a very small price to pay for what you get. Else, just search the Forum pages for answers. If you don't find your answers there, just post a question, like you did here.

For more info on your specific truck, check out www.alldatadiy.com for the technical service manuals. It is the same thing as you will find in the GM shop manuals, but online, and a bunch less $$.

davidstereo
07-18-2006, 12:25
Sorry if I was misleading. I am talking about the books that thedieselpage offers for 25 dollars. Which one of those should I buy to help me with my questions? Thanks, David

trbankii
07-18-2006, 12:42
I'd buy the one for the 6.5TD since that is the truck in your signature line - the ones for the 6.2 and the Duramax won't do you as much good and the yearly ones go on from the basics. So start with the 6.5TD book and then add the yearly volumes from there.

DmaxMaverick
07-18-2006, 12:57
Many of the answers you seek are in the Member's reference section, Q & A's, and online articles, and is included with a subscription membership. It's up to you which book(s) you'll need to answer the remaining questions. I wish I had a pat answer for you, but there isn't one. IIRC, we used to have a "Diesel Primer" listed, but I don't find it now. That's Jim's department.

Keep this in mind....
Some of the articles available online are "encores", and will not be available online forever. Current articles, at some point, will become available only in print. The Diesel Page content site is an "E-magazine", and is treated as such, for the most part. Many "issues" are available for only a period of time, then archived to be released in print later. Jim (More Power) may have more answers for you in this regard. Contact him at turbo@thedieselpage.com if you need to.

I hope this didn't worsen your dilemma. If you have questions, and don't feel they are appropriate in the open forum, you can contact me, Jim, or the moderators via email or PM.

davidstereo
07-18-2006, 13:18
I just found the membership and I will become a member as soon as I get home tonight. I did not know I could become a member and get the articles for the membership price. That should help me tremendously anything else I will be sure to ask. Thanks, David

trbankii
07-18-2006, 17:45
:confused:

I thought you had to be a paying member to post in the member's forums?