PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your shop rags?

dieselrealtor
07-17-2006, 15:40
I have approx. 150-200 old, oily, greasy dirty shop rags. Short of wiping my wife's short term memory after doing them in the washer, the only real idea that I have come up with is mixing them in a large bucket with water & butyl solve & soaking for a while. Then taking to a laundrymat & hoping they have a "rag" machine.

Any Ideas????

Robyn
07-17-2006, 18:21
I use the paper ones for the real sloppy stuff that ruins rags and the rest I soak and slop around in a 5 gallon bucket with simple green then rinse and do them at the laundromat. Just be nice and dont dump in the nasty ones full of black diesel engine oil. The owner of the laudromat will put a bounty on yer butt.

markelectric
07-17-2006, 18:43
If they are the "standard"type you can more than likely trade them in at a uniform service. Last batch I did was a dime a piece.

farmboy1989
07-17-2006, 19:14
At work a service comes and picks up all of our dirty ones and washes them and returns them in sealed bags nice and clean.

Kennedy
07-17-2006, 19:29
I'd use them and throw them away. I use some very heavy paper roll towels from Kimberly Clark. Works VERY well...

Robyn
07-17-2006, 21:50
The red or blue shop rags I use are the retreads that the parts store sells in bundles. Too spendy to toss out if they are not totally roached. As JK says the paper is good,but I still wash my red ones and use them several times.

Bnave95
07-18-2006, 02:31
This is where newspaper comes in handy for the dirty spills. Any doller store has old shirts that sell cheep and comes in handy. Rags that are'nt to bad can be washed with orange hand cleaner and won't dirty the washer.

CareyWeber
07-18-2006, 06:08
I wash them in the washer at home dish soap or shampo and add a coke too sometimes run them though two cycles and the washer is clean too. ;) Presoaking is good too.

The blue paper towels can be washed at least two times too. ;)

Carey