PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Fuel Pump

wthif
07-14-2006, 17:58
I think I know the answers to my questions, but would appreciate confirmation.

ZZ
07-14-2006, 19:25
The mechanical fuel pump on my former '85 Chevy 6.2L had a weep hole and started leaking. I removed the fuel lines and put in an electric pump in line. I never did take off that old pump.

Diesel Blue
07-15-2006, 06:06
And one more question how long do fuel pumps usually last this one has been on the engine for about 3 to 4 years?

Mechanical fuel pumps should last a lot longer than 3 to 4 years. I just purchased a 1989 Suburban with a 6.2 liter diesel engine, and the mechanical fuel pump still works and looks original. As a preventative maintenance measure, I will be replacing it with a new one very soon.

Yours may still be bad, since like with anything mechanical, there is the possibility of premature failure. You may try measuring its output (i.e., volume of fuel it pumps), and compare to specs.

There was also a post by nev62 dated 6/22/2006 titled "Fuel Pickup Pump Pressure," which you may want to take a look at.

When I remove my pump, I'll be a little more knowlegeable, but this is all I can say for now.

Good Luck!!!

Alex

Doug Towne
07-15-2006, 09:09
I had tons of fun replacing mine. I remember loosening the crossover on the turbo side, just for a little more wiggle room. If I recall, you can't even see one of the mounting bolts, so you'll have to rely on feel. On re-assembly you need to pack the fuel pump rod with grease to hold up in the block while you mount the pump. A swivel socket (10mm I believe) came in very handy. I think if I had it to do over again, I would bypass the mechanical and install an electric pump.

wthif
07-15-2006, 11:39
Quick questions that I hope someone can answer before I go down town to buy parts. I decided to go the electric fuel pump rout for now. I know how I'll install it, but...

BobND
07-15-2006, 12:24
Safety switch/fuel pump hookup... switched ignition power to oil pressure safety switch, then to fuel pump, with a relay to by pass it during cranking (if desired), or a momentary contact pushbutton switch to run the fuel pump before cranking, or to fill the filter with fuel, after a filter change.

The Carter fuel pump I have been using works really well for this use, and comes with a suggested electrical diagram for connecting the safety switch. (Unfortunately I don't have the number here, it's 25 miles away at the shop.)

The in-line pulse fuel pumps are better as PUSHING fuel than pulling it, so for best results, install the pump as far back towards the tank as possible. (This information is from the manufacturer's literature.)

On my 1984 Sub, I mounted the fuel pump above the RH frame rail, next to, and above, the fuel tank.

Before, a PO had mounted an electric pump on the RH fenderwell, and used extended lines to connect it in place of the OEM mech fuel pump.

I can't say for sure if the pump I replaced was weak, or if moving it rearward helped, but it got rid of some rough idle, low power, and possible air in the system issues.